Welcome Home, Sir. | Teen Ink

Welcome Home, Sir.

By eisenhauerdrew SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
eisenhauerdrew SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin

Dear Vietnam Veteran,

Recently, I took a trip to Washington DC and had the privilege of seeing the war memorials there. Seeing the list of names on the wall in the Vietnam memorial was a reminder of the brave men and women who fought for and served their country. And, after learning about the treatment of the vets when they returned, I knew I had to take this opportunity to welcome you home properly.

My name is Andrew, and I’m a junior in high school. At this time around 50 years ago, men and women my age were serving as part of the US military in Vietnam. The thought that people could serve their country and put their bodies in danger while being only a few years older than me gave me a new perspective on the war. It made me realize that most of these soldiers who were drafted or volunteered fought in a war they never asked for, but still fought all the same. The selflessness of you and your fellow vets is a testament to our spirit as Americans.

In my opinion, patriotism is putting your country and the people of your country ahead of yourself. I don’t think any single group is more emblematic of that creed than veterans from the Vietnam War. In my hearts and in the hearts of many other Americans, you are a patriot. You are a hero, and you are more than deserving of a proper welcome party.

Finally, I wanted to thank you for your service. Thank you and your fellow vets for your courage for going into battle and the many sacrifices you all endured. I also wanted to say that as the grandson of a WWII vet and a young person in America, I am more than proud to be under the same flag as you. Your service and your sacrifice, long after both you and I are gone, will never be forgotten. The many lost and the many damaged will never be forgotten, and you, even when I don’t know you personally, will never leave my thoughts. Welcome home.

This letter is for a veteran on an Honor Flight.