Dear Veteran | Teen Ink

Dear Veteran

By ZachTheMac SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
ZachTheMac SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin

Dear Vietnam Veteran,

Welcome home, and thank you for your sacrifice and service. A few months ago I received a letter from the United States Military requiring me to register myself in the Selective Service System. My name is Zachary, I am eighteen years old, and am a high school senior in Wisconsin. Receiving the Selective Service registration shocked me. Although I am eighteen and a adult, I can’t imagine going off to the military at this time. I haven't finished high school, am still living with my parents, and quite frankly don’t feel mature enough to serve in the line of duty. This is why I admire and honor your service. To have the courage to leave home at a young age, put everything you have on the line and serve your country is admirable.

I cannot fathom the hardships you have experienced, or the feelings you have. But I can share how I, and many others, feel about your sacrifices and service. When you returned from Vietnam, people treated you unfairly. Today, Americans understand the true circumstances. Our hearts ignite thinking about people like you, with the ability to serve selflessly and bravely for our nation, and spark the patriotism this country needs most.

I do not know you, but regardless, I honor and respect your service, and the spark you have left in my heart, and the hearts of countless other Americans. I wish to emulate your bravery and devotion to our country in my own life, so that I too may inspire others like you have.

Safe travels,

Zachary

Letter to Honor Flight Veteran