Letter to a Veteran | Teen Ink

Letter to a Veteran

By afritzi SILVER, Sussex, Wisconsin
afritzi SILVER, Sussex, Wisconsin

Dear Vietnam Veteran,

When I think about the word sacrificial, these following words come to mind: honor, strength, and courage. Enlisting and fighting in the military requires all of these attributes.  The commitment it took to fight in the war for our country is admirable beyond belief. Especially enlisting or being drafted at such a young age must’ve been terrifying. Leaving friends, family, and the community altogether would be really hard to cope with. That’s why I find it amazing that you spent part of your life fighting for our freedom, and for that I am very grateful.

My Papa was drafted to fight in WWII. He was stationed in the Philippines, and worked as a mechanic and a truck driver. Not only does it take bravery to go to combat, but it also takes a mass amount of intelligence. With any job in the military, you have to have a sense of what to do and what not to do, and really put your thinking cap on.

I want to live a life dedicated to helping people. I’m a senior in high school, and I’ve decided that after I graduate I want to be a nurse practitioner in psychiatry, and work with struggling adolescents. Enlisting in the military not only helps people individually, but it offers a sense of security to our entire country. Knowing that there are courageous men and women in a different country in a battle for our freedom makes us feel safe.

I was distraught when I heard about how you were treated when you came back from the war. I hope that the Honor Flight has given you a second chance for your “welcome home” from others to be something that gives you pride for your time spent serving. What you did in the military deserves to be admired, because it truly was an amazing challenge that you overcame.

Sincerely,

Abby

I wrote this letter to a veteran going on an upcoming Honor Flight