Letter to a Veteran | Teen Ink

Letter to a Veteran

January 7, 2019
By Rach2001 SILVER, Sussex, Wisconsin
Rach2001 SILVER, Sussex, Wisconsin
6 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Dear Veteran,


As I am writing this letter I am tucked into my warm, cozy bed with hot cocoa on my nightstand, while my parents and siblings sit in our basement watching movies. My name is Rachel and my brothers are 18 and 24 and I trail behind at 17, a senior in high school. It is beyond me to imagine having both of my brothers drafted into the service and sent to an unknown place where I couldn’t see them every single day. Where we couldn’t randomly decide to go midnight bowling or night swimming in the pool. Where their lives would be in constant danger, either mentally or physically, and almost everything was out of their control. These scenarios seem unimaginable, but they were your reality and you lived through them and I am forever grateful.

As a sophomore I took AP US History and learned everything from presidents to small battles from the years 1492 to 2016. I got a deeper understanding of what our country was founded on and how it grew, but I found myself unable to understand all of the wars and keep track of what each war was fought for or how it impacted the world. Now, two years later, I got the chance to listen to veterans speak about their personal experiences, good and bad, and watch the Honor Flight film. Hearing the individuals speak made the idea of war more close to home for me and made me realize the impact of your service; That wars are still being fought today, that my military family members will one day have the same Honor Flight opportunity as you had, that your service will be forever recognized.

I am grateful for the sacrifices that you made and the time that you gave so that I can relax in my house knowing that I have a roof over my head with people who work fearlessly day in and day out to protect me.


Thank you for the freedom that you have allowed me,


Rachel