Letter to Veteran | Teen Ink

Letter to Veteran

By brock04 SILVER, Pewaukee, Wi, Wisconsin
brock04 SILVER, Pewaukee, Wi, Wisconsin

Dear Korean War Veteran,

I come to you with open arms and a full heart. Welcoming you home to a loving community of people. You have done so much for me, it’s unimaginable, yet I can’t think of a way to repay you. The sacrifices you have made truly show what a heroic person you really are. You sacrificed so much for people you didn’t even know, or didn’t even exist in the world yet. You fought for my friends, my family, and me. I am eternally grateful for you and your service and welcome home.  

I haven’t had to opportunity to talk to a war veteran about their experiences, but I have visited the memorials in Washington D.C. before. An experience I will cherish in my heart forever. Not only was it educational, but it also moved me. I was about twelve years old, and around ten at night I found myself standing at the edge of the Korean War memorial. The faces carved into the statues were filled with so many emotions. Even though I know you must have been scared out of your mind, your main priority was always to be fearless. You must have conquered so many mind altering challenges, but you have come out a better and stronger person. The things that you and the rest of the Korean War Veterans must have endured are extraordinary to me. It takes a great amount of courage to do what you did. For that I am eternally grateful for you and your service and welcome home.

I am a senior in high school, and my plan right now is to go to college in the following fall. I am not quite 18 yet, but many of my friends are. You were at this stage in your life at one point, and whether or not you had planned to go into the war all along, you still were part of a life changing experience. You put everything you had on the line, and it paid off. I really can't thank you enough for everything you have done. I am eternally grateful for you and your service and welcome home.

Sincerely,

Rachel

I wrote this letter for a veteran going on an upcoming honor flight.