Letter to a Veteran | Teen Ink

Letter to a Veteran

January 7, 2019
By GuitarHero2 SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
GuitarHero2 SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
8 articles 10 photos 0 comments

Dear Vietnam Veteran,


You had one of the worst welcome homes. I can’t even imagine coming home from war to boos and protests of your service. You sacrificed your life for this country, only to come home to people who didn’t appreciate it. I want to make up for those people by saying, welcome home, and thank you for your service.


My name is Sean and I am a high school senior. My dad served in the Navy for six years once he graduated from high school. He already knew as a junior that he would be going into the military to serve our country. The conditions he had compared to yours were like a five star hotel next to a crummy old motel. In my U.S. history class, we watched videos about the Vietnam War. You never knew what was coming and if you would survive another day. That is my definition of bravery and I thank you for risking your life to create a brighter future for our country.


I have been to Washington D.C. and seen the war memorials. They are silent representations of the thankfulness of our country towards you. When I walked past the Vietnam War memorial, it sent chills through me. All the names engraved on the wall represented another American life that was lost. Each name was one of your brothers who you fought side by side with and had to see leave this world. Those lives were lost right in front of you, but you kept on fighting for your country with great honor and valor.


I personally want to thank you again, even though I can’t do so in person. Everyone appreciates your sacrifice for this country. Welcome home!


Sincerely,

Sean


The author's comments:

I wrote this letter to a veteran going on a upcoming honor flight.