Honor Flight | Teen Ink

Honor Flight

By adonbanks BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
adonbanks BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin

Dear Veteran,

Welcome home and thank you for your service. You made so many sacrifices that most people wouldn’t even fathom doing. Your courage and bravery are just a few things that make you my hero. I’m a junior in high school and it baffles me that you were around my age you entered the war. I’m eternally grateful.

My name is Jacob and both my grandfather and cousin served in the military. The stories they share give me a slight understanding of what it was like. But I can never truly understand what they went through or what you went through. But I would like to know. Know what compelled you to join the military if you chose to join and how it was while you were in it?

You inspire me to become a better man and to help others. I recently volunteered time at my church and in my community. I also donated money to help children in Africa that are living in poverty and without medical care. The woman that I gave the money to began to cry and said that what I had given would feed a family for a few months.  

You are someone that deserves to be treated with the utmost respect. I have many questions about your experience in the war. What was the food like that you had to eat? I know I love foods like pizza and ice cream but I’m assuming that you didn’t have access to those foods. This is just one of many questions that run through my mind.

Sincerely,

Jacob

I wrote this piece to a veteran that will be participating in my areas upcoming honor flight.