Mail Call | Teen Ink

Mail Call

January 7, 2019
By sarxoxo GOLD, Sussex, Wisconsin
sarxoxo GOLD, Sussex, Wisconsin
10 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Dear Wisconsin Vietnam Veteran,

 

Welcome home! I wanted to start with a warm welcome because I know how you were treated when you came home after serving in the Vietnam War. Many thought of you guys as bad people but you are the complete opposite. You are someone who endured so much pain and rudeness but still kept a smiling face. You are someone who made a sacrifice for his country by leaving all your loved ones behind. Many people can not say that they have gone through something that traumatic. There are never enough words to tell you how thankful and appreciative I am for you. You are the true definition of a hero!

I’m Sarah, I am a senior in high school. I hope you enjoyed your wonderful day getting to see all these breathtaking memorials. I understand that it has been a very busy day and that you are tired. Around 5 years ago, I went to Washington DC to see the monuments that you got to see today. I never thought that something like this could really get to me. I am lucky enough to attend Experimental Aircraft Association (EAA) every year because of my parent’s work. I really feel connected to the Honor Flight because a couple years ago they flew into Wittman Airport in Oshkosh, Wisconsin.

I hope that this letter I am writing you is a pleasant surprise and I hope I can make difference in your day. I hope this was the ‘welcome home’ you’ve always wanted. It is definitely the ‘welcome home’ you deserved. Thank you so much for your sacrifice and being a brave courageous man.


The author's comments:

This is to a Veteran that will be going on an upcoming Honor Flight