Thank You Veteran | Teen Ink

Thank You Veteran

January 4, 2019
By oliviaglaessner GOLD, Okauchee, Wisconsin
oliviaglaessner GOLD, Okauchee, Wisconsin
10 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Dear Vietnam Veteran,


In today’s generation, high school students are at extreme levels of stress. This door is closing, and a new one is opening. A majority of us don’t have a clue about what we want to do after this chapter of our lives. It’s a scary, uncomfortable, and stressful time. As a teenager in the year 2018 we are very privileged. Going to college is expected, considering a lot of our relatives never went. Although most people I know, choose to attend a higher education after high school, there are the others who are interested in joining the force like you did.


My name is Olivia, and I am a senior in high school. I wrote a letter to an incredible veteran freshman year for the Honor Flight, and I was inspired by to create another one! Graduation is coming around quickly, which means it’s decision time. Being only a young seventeen year old, making this decision can be quite difficult. Realising that you at this same age, had to make an even more ambitious decision means so much, thank you. All seniors in high school have to worry about is leaving home, and living on their own to take more classes, so they can continue with their future. A much larger weight was being put on you. Packing up, and traveling to a different country to fight for everything you had at home is unimaginable, and is no way comparable to our situation. Thank you.


In today’s society we are blessed with education, a roof over our heads, food on our tables, and many other rights and opportunities that have been graciously given to us by none other than you. Hearing from family, college was difficult to make happen when you were our age, which is why I am so blessed that I was given the right to attend and further my education. I believe that the war you fought was the hardest, and longest. Maybe you stopped to think about what you were missing at home? You gave myself, and many others what you were missing, and I am forever grateful for that. Instead of being in my place, figuring out what to do with your future, you chose something magnificent.  


The “welcome home” that you received initially was not something to remember. The blatant disregard for your work, emotion, and sincerity that was given to this country was not appreciated. This breaks my heart that people do not realise that every opportunity and choice they are able to make, is because of you. I genuinely hope that today, you experienced what you should have the first time you came home.


There was a duty to this country you promised to fulfil. You have accomplished so much more than any teenager wanting to continue their education ever will. You sacrificed your life, and gave away your freedom to give it to the rest of us. You are extraordinary, and special to this country.


God bless, and welcome home!


Olivia


The author's comments:

This goes to the amazing veterans attending the Honor Flight 2019, that gave us all we have today.

Thank you,

Welcome home.