Letter to Veteran | Teen Ink

Letter to Veteran

By outdoorkid SILVER, Nashotah, Wisconsin
outdoorkid SILVER, Nashotah, Wisconsin

Dear Vietnam veteran,

In today’s society, too many people don’t respect our country and the military personnel that have made the ultimate sacrifice for it. Too many people take the freedom that we have for granted and don’t realise that freedom isn’t free. I on the other hand, respect every service man and woman and the sacrifices that they have made for the best country in the world.

My name is Aaron and I am currently a senior in high school. One day I stumbled upon the Honor Flight Movie and was immediately inspired to write to a veteran. I would like to start out by saying thank you. Your service to this great country has not gone unnoticed and I cannot thank you enough for the sacrifices that you have made. If it weren't for people like you, we would not have the freedom that we do today. I am currently getting ready to enroll in an apprenticeship program when I graduate and cannot imagine what it would be like fighting in a war at 18 years old. Your courage and bravery is like none other, you are a true American Hero!

I understand that you may not be appreciated by some and you may not have gotten the best “welcome home” when you returned from service but I will always sincerely appreciate what you have done for this country. What you have done is un replaceable and truly remarkable. I hope that this day has given you the “welcome home” that you truly deserve.

In the end, you are a true American Hero no matter what anyone says. Welcome home and thank you for your service!

This is a letter to a Veteran on an upcoming Honor Flight