Appreciating the Great | Teen Ink

Appreciating the Great

By sarxoxo GOLD, Sussex, Wisconsin
sarxoxo GOLD, Sussex, Wisconsin

Washington DC, 2014. The class cautiously stepping into a colossal building that felt bitter and bare. As a group of kids walked into the holocaust museum, their eyes widen like they just got caught doing something atrocious. We are all amused at the structure of this building, knowing it took many years to build.

After walking through of what we thought were the exhibits, we then enter the shoe exhibit. Thousands of empty shoes sitting in one place all belonging to an individual who did not make it out of this horrifying event. The shoes are dirty, destroyed and disheveled. Some of them big and most of them looking like baby feet. “WE ARE THE SHOES, WE ARE THE LAST WITNESSES.” One person, representing each pair of shoes. And while I sat there in heartbreak, I felt pieces of them right there with me.

Slowly making our way through, the classes eyes never close for too long. The lengthy  empty hallways that will be implanted in our minds and hearts. When the class calmly made it out of the museum, a elderly man was sitting in a wheelchair outside. As I walked up to him, I noticed the uniform he wore. A Vietnam Veteran. I thanked him for almost an hour. During conversation with him, I realized that these brave men had no choice but to go fight for our country. Many Veterans now face tremendous amounts of mental issues, many have physical disabilities. Both constant reminders of the battles seen right before their eyes.  Although the United States did not get involved with the fight between the Europeans and the Nazi’s, it all connects in one way, war and struggles. If our men and women did not have so much love for their country, weren’t brave enough to fight for our country day in and day out we would not be the country we are today. Many countries do not have the luxury of freedom of speech like we do. I thank our veterans everyday.