Mother, Anita B. | Teen Ink

Mother, Anita B. MAG

April 22, 2009
By Kayla Bechel BRONZE, Elmwood, Wisconsin
Kayla Bechel BRONZE, Elmwood, Wisconsin
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Some heroes have lightning speed; some can fly, be in two places at once, excel in a hobby or activity, or show unconditional love and support. Believe it or not, my hero can do all of these.

Every morning this incredible woman wakes early, racing to the barn with lightning speed to care for our goats and chickens. Then she goes to work until lunch, when she returns home to feed and water our animals. The next part of her day is spent working diligently until it is time to watch my twin brothers and me compete in our track meets. She flies there in her 1998 Chevy Silverado just in time to take pictures and cheer us on.

My brothers and I had a wonderful childhood, growing up with a mom, a dad, a big house, a big yard, and plenty of toys. But tragedy struck our family one September evening in 2002 when my father’s life was taken from us. My mom stayed strong and didn’t let us see her grief or pain. She raised three teenagers single-handedly, never complaining. She tries to provide us with everything that children with two parents would have. She has great will power and rarely asks for help. In her mind, if there’s a will, there’s a way. She is completely selfless and sacrifices herself so she can give her children what she thinks they deserve.

Another of my mother’s heroic qualities is her optimistic outlook on life. She is a free spirit who loves to have fun and be outside. A jack of all trades, when things go awry with a motorcycle, car, or tractor, she is there with tools in her hands. When she’s not riding her Harley-Davidson motorcycle, she enjoys maintaining the motocross track in our backyard.

She is constantly improving our home, our lives, and our goals. She believes in us and pushes us to meet our potential every day. She lives by the motto, “Life’s too short. Don’t sweat the small stuff.” We are reminded of that from time to time when an insignificant teenage “crisis” arises. My mother doesn’t take anything for granted, and she instills this and other values in me. In poker terms, my mother plays the hand she has been dealt, and she plays it well.

This truly remarkable woman is my hero and my best friend, someone I can confide in. She has taught me about love, generosity, and perseverance. She has also shown me how to put others before myself. She never gave up, even when the going was tough. She has made many sacrifices for us and for herself. She is a wonderful role model and a compassionate woman I will always admire. I hope I will grow as strong, willful, and respected as my mother until it is my time to go up, up, and away!