Top Voted Educator of the Year Articles

Here are the top voted educator of the year articles:

voted
#1
Debra Johnson-Dahrouge, Composition, Neptune High This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
English was always easy for me, but that changed the first day I walked into Mrs. Johnson-Dahrouge's class. I'd heard rumors from former students: they said she was strict and intimidating, that her class was impossible to pass, and that I was... (more »)
29 comments
voted
#2
Susan Geisz, Gym and Health This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
Changing for gym isn't optional; believe me, every year I try something new to get out of it. But whether it's “I forgot my clothes at home,” or “I feel sick,” Mrs. Geisz always has some item for you to wear from the lost and found, or the... (more »)
2 comments
voted
#3
Michele Baun This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
It was the first day of sixth grade. I kept hearing whispered tales about the infamous Math 7 and Algebra teacher – stories of late nights and insane amounts of work. A year later, it was my time to meet the woman who had generated all the... (more »)
7 comments
voted
#4
Megan McDermott, Science This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
When some people decide they want to be teachers, they go to college, get a degree, and find a job at a school. They prepare lesson plans, give out homework, and make up tests. But when they walk out of school, they leave being a teacher behind.... (more »)
2 comments
voted
#5
Patrick Cantagallo This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
In this essay I could tell you that my teacher is everything a good teacher should be, but that would be a lie. My teacher isn't everything a good teacher should be – he is everything an exemplary teacher should be. The teacher I speak of is Mr.... (more »)
32 comments
voted
#6
Michael Reynolds This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
I'd never before had a teacher who asked his students to illustrate the ending of “Beowulf,” or draw pictures of Samuel Taylor Coleridge's “Kubla Khan” on the blackboard, or make up Mad Libs for Lord Byron's “When We Two Parted,” or... (more »)
3 comments
voted
#7
Amy West This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
Isaac Newton. Charles Darwin. Albert Einstein. These names should be familiar. They belong to some of the most famous scientists in history. Marie Curie. Jane Goodall. Rachel Zimmerman. Dorothy Hodgkin. Also brilliant scientists – who happen to... (more »)
1 comment
voted
#8
Barb Fassbender, Guidance Counselor This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
What most people think of as a teacher is very different from my definition. I believe that a teacher is one who gives time to help and educate, but is not necessarily paid. This can include friends, peers, parents, even the cashier at the grocery... (more »)
voted
#9
Michael Miller, English, Thomas Jefferson H.S. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
“Mr. Miller?” I said as I walked into Room 207, nervously clutching my paper with both hands as I pushed the door open with my foot. Mr. Miller turned around slowly, with the composure of a well-trained fighter. It didn't matter that he... (more »)
5 comments
voted
#10
Keith Davis, Band, Cleburne High This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
One thing I learned in high school was the art of jazz. This laid-back music will take control of you and mesmerize you with trumpet and saxophones blaring while trombones and bass lay down a smooth, groovy rhythm that rappers wish they had. This... (more »)
1 comment
voted
#11
Christopher Poss This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
I've often been told not to judge a book by its cover. But I never really understood this until my sophomore year, when I had Mr. Poss for World Geography. The summer before, I had seen him at the school a few times. I was surprised that he... (more »)
1 comment
voted
#12
Melody Lundy, Geography, Cleburne High This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
Imagine walking into a giant zoo filled with roughly 1,000 animals. The hyenas (sophomores and juniors) cackle, the alpha lions (seniors) growl, and you, the lowly zebra (freshman), cower in fear, with “fresh meat” conveniently written... (more »)
voted
#13
Phyllis McPherson, Librarian This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
All my life I have loved to read. Ever since I learned the alphabet, I've had my nose in a book, whether I could really read it or not. My love of books followed me through elementary school. By the time I hit middle school, reading was all I ever... (more »)
1 comment
voted
#14
Melanie Gaddy, History This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
Melanie Gaddy is a special teacher when it comes to her subject, South Carolina ­history: she's lived it. Long ago her family owned slaves, helping her ­understand what life was like, and how people were treated. When she was growing up,... (more »)
10 comments
voted
#15
Stephanie Hunt, World History This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
This classroom is a sanctuary, a safe place where common facts and individual thoughts intermingle. Hands raise with confidence and excitement as new ideas are offered, and 25 enthusiastic learners explore the topic at hand, discussing, analyzing,... (more »)
6 comments
voted
#16
Dr. Heather Held, English This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
“Do we just sit anywhere?” I asked with the nervousness of a student on the first day of school. “What? Yeah, I don't care where you sit. I don't do assigned seating,” she answered without looking up. She was digging through her desk... (more »)