John Grant | Teen Ink

John Grant

June 6, 2018
By Tmac339 BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware
Tmac339 BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Do you have that one person in your life that has affected you dramatically? The kind of person that is always there for you, and you can always count on? Well that person to me is John Grant. Mr. Grant is a man of many jobs. He is Delaware Military Academy’s Marching Band Director, and School Counselor; plus, he deals with all of our school’s technology. Not only is he constantly doing something, but he takes pride in what he does and does it correctly. Due to his great character and his can do attitude, I think Mr. Grant is truly a great candidate for Educator of the Year.

Whenever I need something no matter what it is, I can count on Mr. Grant to help me. I have gone to him many times just to make my day better. Anyone can go to him and just talk. Thats the amazing thing about Mr. Grant, you can just talk to him as a person, and automatically your day gets better. He is very understanding as well. If you need to talk about something going on in your life, he is there. All in all, Mr. Grant is special in that he can lift you up when you are feeling down and make you feel better.

Music has a special place in my heart, and when I first found out that Mr. Grant was the band director, I was ecstatic. Marching band involves a lot of work, a lot of practice, and a lot of planning. All of which Mr. Grant had done. This past season the Delaware Military Academy Marching Seahawks scored their highest score in school history. This would not have been possible without Mr. Grant leading us to success. It seems as if he is a walking encyclopedia when it come to music. If you have a question about anything, he can answer it. I’d also like to point out the countless hours that Mr. Grant has given up for band. He always seems so busy, but nothing gets in the way of band. He works so hard so we can be successful, and that's something I think our entire band can truly appreciate about him.

As I mentioned earlier, Mr. Grant does so much for our school. Many people rely on him whether it be other staff, parents, and of course students. There isn't a day that goes by where he is not needed. He is always doing something. As time goes on, schools are adopting more technology and systems. But if they break, who will fix them? Well that's Mr. Grant’s job. Many times I have been sitting in a class and the teacher is having tech issues with something. Who else will walk in the room but Mr. Grant? He also takes charge of about half of our school’s college admissions for our graduating classes. This involves writing many letters of recommendations and lots of paperwork. Mr. Grant has a hardworking personality that makes it possible to accomplish his many responsibilities.

In conclusion, Mr. Grant is dedicated to his job, students, and family and ultimately is a great role model for most people today. His intelligence always challenges me to do more, and improve my skills during marching band. Everyone he meets he always tries to help them to the best of his abilities. He is hardworking,  resourceful, and helpful which is what helps our school thrive. All in all Mr. Grant is an amazing person to be around whether you need help, or just want to talk. The above reasons is why I believe John Grant would be a great candidate for Educator of the year.