Bullying Awareness | Teen Ink

Bullying Awareness

By Oniah BRONZE, Houston, Texas
Oniah BRONZE, Houston, Texas

While bullying has been around for so many years, it will be able to go somewhere in life. We just have to focus on it. Bullying isn’t  a good thing to do or to watch happen, because being a bully doesn’t make you strong.  You are picking on someone, because of how you’re feeling or because of negative things that are happening to you in life. Some bullies could feel guilty later on in life, knowing that what they did when they were younger was a wrong thing to do. Did you know that, 160,000 kids skips school to avoid getting bullied? 30% reported being bullied while 66% are reports that are being responded poorly by school administration.

First, bullying isn’t a good thing or something to watch happen. You’re picking on someone for no good reason. In the “Megan Meier Story” video, it claims to be said that the bullies were trying to pull a prank on Megan, but the prank had gotten too far. The bullies were upset thinking Megan was talking about one of the bullies. They started making their fake character and made it seem that the fake person was nice and liked Megan. One day, the characters’ personality drifted so quickly, it had went downhill. The character started to call Megan ugly and harmful names. Soon enough, one of the bullies opened up about the story and felt bad of what had went down. Bullies are weak on the inside, but tries to show no fear on the outside.

Bullying is unwanted, aggressive behavior among school aged children, that involves a real or perceived power in balance. Bullying is repeated or has the potential to be repeated. Kids who bullies uses their power-physical strength, access to embracing information or popularity to control to harm others. Power imbalances can change over time, in different situations or if the same people are involved. There are three types of bullying; verbal, social and physical. Verbal bullying is saying or writing mean things - teasing, name-calling and threats. Social bullying is hurting someone's’ reputation or their relationships or to embarrass them in public. Physical bullying involves hurting a person’s body or their possessions; spitting, hitting, tripping or breaking their property. In order to be bullying, this needs to be repetitive actions and it is aggressive. Kids who are bullied are at risk. They most likely have; anxiety, are lonely, has low self-esteem, depression, suicidal - or thought, and suicidal withdrawal.

There are three different types of people in a bullying situation. There are bystanders, the bully and the victim. Bystanders could be influenced indirectly. After seeing someone being bullied or victimized, they can significantly heighten feelings of vulnerability. This can lower their feelings of personal safety. Bullying doesn’t have to be a normal way of childhood. All forms of bullying is harmful. It is harmful to everyone; the bully, the victim, to the witness (s) and to both families. This could last all the way into their adulthood.

Being a bully does not get you anywhere in life. Instead, you would most likely be feelings guilty or trapped inside your past, as if you can’t escape what you’ve done. Let’s talk about the Chelsey Donato story, shall we? Chelsey Donato had a boyfriend. Her best friend dated Chelsey’s boyfriends best friend, weird right? The friends had eventually broken up from one another and soon enough, Chelsey’s boyfriend, friend started coming onto Chelsey. Chelsey mentioned it to her boyfriend, but he didn’t do anything about it. Chelsey came forward and told the boyfriend’s friend to leave her alone. Suddenly, everything erupted. The boy and a group of his friends, went and created this site, giving a very explicit description of what Chelsey had “wanted” to be done with her body. Chelsey then started to receive inappropriate text messages from boys, saying things that she did not give them any type of permission or information about. Chelsey was so scared and thrilled as to how and why she was getting sent those messages. Chelsey later found out on where it was coming from and by who. She told them to delete it and that the police will be getting involved. She was able to find out many things; the creators email, the IP address, and the device it came from.

Chelsey and her family spoke to the creators and the ad was eventually removed. Chelsey’s bullying journey didn’t stop there. Chelsey started getting name-called (verbal bullying) and still even social bullying. She and her family stayed strong. Chelsey knew that staying strong was the best thing to do. She didn’t care what those people had to say because she knew who she really was, deep inside of her. Chelsey and her family went through a devastating time, but they stuck through it and stayed strong. Although nothing really bad had happened, it does not mean that bullying is okay.

Bullying can be devastating. Getting bullied can affect both the victim and their family. The victim can end up being lucky in the end but they can also end up being very unlucky. Bullies often bully, because of the simple fact of; not getting what they want, being abuse at home, doesn't have anyone as their friend or anything similar to above.

If you see someone getting bullied, please stand up and defend them, other than being a bystander. A bystander is someone who records what is happening to the victim. It is just as wrong as someone bullying somebody else. It is like saying they condone bullying.

Social networking addiction is a phase sometimes used to prefer to someone spending too much time using facebook, twitter, or any other forms of social media- that interferes with other aspects of their daily life.Social networking embraced the amounts of cyberbullying through the use of technology. Cyberbullying on these online mechanisms tend to be around harassment, intimidation, threats and abuse. Social networking grants the easy path into victimising individual people. Sending messages to people now takes no effort at all. There are three types of considerations in social networking- legal, social and ethical. Legal can be taken into the hands of the law because cyberbullying is not a joke. Social can affect someone from being social from other people because they may become scared or worried that others will bully them too. Ethical cyberbullying isn’t the right thing to do and isn;t something that is very pleasing for a person who is being bullied. Legal can be taken into the hands of the law, because cyberbullying is not a joke. Social can affect someone from being social from other people because they may become scared or worried that others will bully them. Either cyberbullying isn’t the right thing to do and isn’t something that is very pleasing for a person who is being bullied or helping someone who is being bullied.

Bullying is a bad thing to do. You can get into severe trouble. What can we try to do to prevent that? We can all try to come together and make sure that everyone could get along. We have to make sure that everyone’s household is being treated good so that kids wouldn’t be influenced in becoming a bully.