Pollution | Teen Ink

Pollution

May 21, 2018
By DJNoel BRONZE, Houston, Texas
DJNoel BRONZE, Houston, Texas
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Pollution, a worldwide problem that I believe everyone on Earth should take serious action to fix. If not, sooner or later humanity will be living in extremely poor conditions, to the point where Earth would no longer be habitable, everything humans depend on to live will be gone, and leading to the worst possibility, the extinction of the human race. The world may come to an end a lot sooner than expected, and it is all because of pollution cause by our own kind, humans.

 

Animals all around the world are being affected by pollution, causing many animals to die off leading to species being endangered or even worse, extinction. Including plants such as trees, humans are rapidly killing and destroying all plants faster than they can grow, sooner or later we are going to end up with no plants. All living things have a purpose, such as balancing the food chain, keeping the ecosystem alive and helping the environment. If a species were to go extinct, it would unbalance the food chain, leading to many other animals possibly going extinct and causing major disruption to the ecosystem. As humans we wouldn't want that to happen because we need the food chain to stay in balance and ecosystems around the world in order to stay alive.


The Earth's Ocean, covers up 71% of the planet's surface, contains 97% of the Earth's water and provides 99% of earth's living space, is now being polluted. Nearly 5 to 13 metric tons of plastic was found in the ocean of the year 2015 and the number keeps growing, this pollution is extremely bad for the living things that live in the ocean or around it. One of the most important ecosystems in the ocean is Coral Reefs, provides homes to many organisms that live in the ocean, sadly many coral reef ecosystems are dying off due to exposure from acid rain and chemicals from fertilizers, pesticides and herbicides that come from run off drains. This is killing many plants and animals that live in the ocean, especially if there is no longer an ecosystem to live off of. Another form of pollution in the ocean is Oil, 12% of oil entering the ocean comes from oil spills, 36% of oil in runoffs enter the ocean, this also greatly affects the ocean. Nearly 44% of the world's population lives within 100 miles from the ocean and 3/7 people depend on the ocean to provide their food. If the ocean were to be wasted by pollution, humans would have an extremely hard time just to stay alive.


On land, one of the main forms of pollution is air pollution, up to 90% of the air in the earth's atmosphere is polluted and 92% of the world's population breathes polluted air.  Most of this air pollution comes from factories that release smoke into the air and vehicles that most of the human population uses on a daily basis. Another major form of pollution that is caused by humans is littering, over 4 million metric tons of plastic is on land and possibly more is being thrown on land by our own kind till this very moment. I believe that this should come to an end and that the government should be a lot more strict about littering because this is a form of pollution that can surely and definitely be solved a lot easier than it sounds. On the other hand, air pollution might be a lot harder to solve since humans depend on factories and vehicles every day to live.


One of the biggest concern about pollution is the own safety of mankind, at this point we can say we are practically killing ourselves for how unaware and ignorant we are about pollution. The prediction of how long the human race would live on has decreased all because of the possibility of pollution killing us off sooner is a lot more higher and increases as time passes by. No ones knows if we will soon start taking serious action in preventing pollution or if we will start to try once it is already too late. I suggest that we should start taking action as soon as we can to prevent our own extinction, or atleast make the human race exist longer than expected at the moment. Another big concern is extinction of all life on earth, most likely, by the time the human race goes extinct we would kill all plants and animals along with us because that's the selfish humans we are. Unless we die because of a different organism that somehow overpowered humans, which is very unlikely , not including any possibility where its organisms living outside of Earth, but in this case , which is pollution , we would take all life on earth along with us if we die. Ofcourse most likely after a while, few life on earth would start to regenerate and a new Era of life will start , without humans though.


All problems that want to be solved must have a plan to follow in order for the problem to be fixed, for pollution, I have thought of some possibilities that can help stop pollution. One way to dramatically decrease pollution is by making recycling a law. This may be quite difficult since many people might not want to cooperate, but this law does not have the intention of making life horrible or more difficult, it is made to make life easier and better in the long run, it may not seem important at first but after a while the changes it'll make on the environment and  world will make it all pay off. Another way I believe can help, is by creating a program that helps the homeless and poor get an easy, paying job helping the community by picking up and cleaning trash. If this program were to become successful we can give many homeless people all around the world paying jobs and help clean the environment at the same time.


Pollution is a very bad problem that is still not too late to be solved and I believe we should take action as soon as we can before pollution becomes an even harder problem to fix or even worse, too late to to fix. There are many reasons why pollution is dangerous and i just listed a small amount, there is also many ways we can solve pollution but i just mentioned 2 of the ones I thought were good and i personally liked myself. It is not too late to stop pollution and we should take the chance while we have it.
 


The author's comments:

I am Strongly against pollution and i want to make a change to fix and stop pollution.