Educator of the Year | Teen Ink

Educator of the Year

By Jones7 PLATINUM, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
Jones7 PLATINUM, Pewaukee, Wisconsin

Entering into Arrowhead High School as a freshman was like moving to a foreign country. I had feelings of fear, anxiety, and the unknown.
My first eight hours were filled with excitement as I met my teachers who all had unique and original personalities. However, one particular teacher intrigued me and eventually became my mentor, showing me the ways of Arrowhead. That teacher was Mr. Mesenbrink, who was energetic, funny, and creative with his teachings. Whenever I said “hi” to him, he replied back with a “Mr. Jones!” with a deep, reassuring voice. 
He taught our ninth hour science class, filling our minds with knowledge as we engaged in labs full of fascination, interest, and spectacularity. Some remain my favorites, including a crater lab, a pulley lab, and a water experiment at the Bark River.
One of the most fascinating projects our class participated in involved science presentations, where we learned about present day events relating to science and what we thought about them. It was impressive because I had the opportunity to learn new concepts that sounded like creative, revolutionary ideas.
Hearing his jolly voice encouraged me to be just like him: goofy, but smart. Crazy, but well educated. Silly, but wise. His personality made him act not only like a comedian, but also like a gifted educator.
Besides being a full-time teacher, he is also a successful wrestling coach and father. He inspires all of those who come in contact with him. His enthusiastic and charismatic personality draws students and athletes to him; and in return, he motivates them to become the best version of themselves.
For this reason, I would like to nominate Mr. Mesenbrink for this award. If it weren’t for him giving me a positive view of Arrowhead, I would not have seen this school the same way I see it today.