Crushing Calculus | Teen Ink

Crushing Calculus

May 8, 2018
By Beanboy GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
Beanboy GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
15 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Junior year, I shivered at the word calculus. It created an image of college students nervously studying this foreign language of numbers. However, there are few that truly understand calculus and can read this language as if it was their first.
Mr. Hessler is a literal brain and a half when it comes to calculus. Mr. Hessler is someone who has gone and will continue to go above and beyond for his students at Arrowhead High School. He wants each student to succeed more than anything. He has spent years perfecting the teaching style that will allow students to pass the AP exam. He is truly an amazing person. That is why I am nominating Mr. Hessler for this award.
When I walked in on my last first day of high school, I was nervous. It was the last year I would see the people I had spent my high school career with and I wanted to make sure my last year went right. I wanted to see myself succeed and enjoy what I had accomplished over the last three years. And so did Mr. Hessler. He had been a teacher long enough to know that by senior year, most kids were ready to call it quits. So he made the class fun.
The first Friday of school was our first quiz. This is when he told us about partner quizzes. Everyone had the opportunity to suggest a theme and we voted the day before the quiz. It was no longer all about math; it was about having fun while learning and see what we could come up with. This allowed the class to bond and talk to each other and therefore learn from each other. However, this was just the start.
His next teaching device was catchphrases. Mr. Hessler would relate math to terms we could understand. When learning about limits, he would always say, “It's just a Y guy” or “Is there gas at the station?” All these phrases were said over and over and over until it was etched into our memory. Not only did these help us learn the material, but it made the concepts less intimidating.
Then would come the test. After quizzes and catchphrases, it was what he called game day. It was the day to put what we practiced on the paper. When going into game day, everyone wanted the test to be easy, but, it never was. We had to fight and think and prove to him we knew what we were doing. But looking back each test made us so much better. Every test that got me nervous until the grade went in it was worth it. You see, his tests are harder than the AP test we are preparing to take.
Now as I walk into class on my final days of high school, I’m faced with a timed Free Response Question from old AP tests. Each and every one is different and brutal; however, he taught us how to punch kick and grab as many points as we can. He taught us how to stick it to the grader. He wants us to win and he doesn't care how we do it. Mr. Hessler has given each of his students more than enough tools in order to succeed and destroy the AP test.
The last few weeks walking into class has been the same. I go in excited to take the FRQ, review material, and complete independent work. However,  I am upset, because I know Mr. Hessler won’t be my teacher forever. He won’t be able to tell me more phrases to learn new material. He won’t be there to inspire me to dress up like an idiot. So as our days come to a close, thank you, Mr. Hessler, you have inspired me and shown me the path to success.