Educator of the Year | Teen Ink

Educator of the Year

May 8, 2018
By 8morrow SILVER, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
8morrow SILVER, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
9 articles 0 photos 0 comments

I have never been comfortable within the walls of a classroom. A constant fear of embarrassment in front of my classmates, and the never ending terrified feeling of being called on by the teacher never goes away. I couldn't remember basic math, I struggled to read, and I had zero reading comprehension. I learned fast never to make eye contact with the teacher and lived by this rule for years.


But after entering the sixth grade, things quickly changed. My class was assigned a teachers aid (because we caused to many issues). This was how I met Mrs. Supple. She is no ordinary teacher, and focuses completely on her students. Mrs. Supple is selfless and open minded. She has showed me how to succeed in school, guided me to be a better person, and helped lead me in my faith during my time with her at St. Charles Catholic School.
At first glance, she's just another teacher. Shes short with dark hair and walks the halls like she was 6’5”. Spend five minutes with her you’d think she’s entertaining. Spend an hour with her you'll never want to leave her side. I spent three years with Mrs. Supple and she is still my biggest fan to this day.


Everyday I would hear a “Hi, Megs!” ringing in my ear instantly bringing a smile to my face. Later she would pull me out of class to go over math, reading, and to take tests. We would march our way into the teachers lounge and without hesitation go right for the treats left on the table. We would talk about her kids, sports, and of course the class gossip. She has a way of making you feel like you're the most important thing in the world and there's nothing else she would rather be doing than be with you.


I really struggled in school. I lost motivation during middle school to succeed and just came to the conclusion im dumb. But me failing was not an option for Mrs. Supple. She was always looking out for me and by her request I was sent to be tested for dyslexia. If it wasn't for her entering my life I would still be asking the same question “What's wrong with me?” I would still be grade levels behind in math and reading. Because of her I am no longer uncomfortable within the walls of the classroom, Mrs. Supple has changed my life forever.