Mrs.Smith | Teen Ink

Mrs.Smith

By sofia.p BRONZE, Hockessin, Delaware
sofia.p BRONZE, Hockessin, Delaware

A teacher, as defined by Merriam-Webster, is a person whose occupation is to give formal instruction in a school.  A hero, as defined by Merriam-Webster, is a person who is the object of extreme or uncritical devotion. A hero is a word so powerful it should only be used sparingly. Few can achieve such excellence. Mrs. Smith is one of these people. You see, Mrs. Smith is not your average sixth grade math teacher. She doesn't just hand out packets or give lectures. She sparks your curiosity in each lesson. Mrs. Smith doesn't just give formal instruction in a school, she takes her time to meticulously prep a lesson plan that will both intrigue and enlighten. Mrs. Smith is the definition of a heroic teacher.

Not only is Mrs. Smith an exemplary teacher, she is an extraordinary field hockey and lacrosse coach. Before sixth grade, sports were not my forte. I hated to run, catch, and throw, anything that would exert myself too much.  But somehow Mrs. Smith convinced me to try out for the school field hockey team. Through the huffs and the puffs, she encouraged me. I wanted to impress her, so I worked extra hard at every practice. In eighth grade, I was voted captain of my field hockey and lacrosse teams enabling me to impart all the knowledge that I gained over the previous two years with Mrs. Smith as my coach. I can honestly say that I would not be the person I am today if it were not for Mrs. Smith.

She made math class my favorite part of the day. Imagine that, she actually made math enjoyable. She was a ray of sunshine.  No matter how bad a day she was having, Mrs. Smith would never let on.  She would walk into the classroom with the biggest smile on her face. Whenever I didn't understand one of the topics, she would let me come after school or during lunch to get help. It was more important to her that her students understand math concepts than to take a lunch break or to get home to her family after a long hectic day.

Mrs. Smith nominated me for athlete of the year. Normally, just the male and female athletes of the year are announced, but this year the runner-ups were also announced.  While I didn't win, I was runner-up.  Mrs. Smith prepared a speech on my behalf. Her speech was so inspiring and heartfelt; it made me cry.  It was incredible to think that my teacher and coach thought so highly of me. I will never forget that speech and those encouraging words.

When I heard about this contest, I knew immediately who I would nominate: Mrs. Smith, my hero. Mrs. Smith has taught me to be the best version of myself and to never, ever give up. She showed me the importance of a team, who sticks with you through thick and thin. Mrs. Smith is a hero on and off the field and in and out of the classroom.  I am proud to nominate Mrs. Smith as Educator of the Year.