Mrs. Vicki Simon This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Eighth grade was no doubt the hardest year of my school career. So much had happened in such a short period of time, and without my 8th grade English teacher, I don’t think I would have made it to where I am now.

In February of 2017 my Mommom passed away, and I became extremely depressed. On top of that I was diagnosed with something called Fibromyalgia. I started to also struggle with depression, and things became very hard for me. I confided in Mrs. Simon and she revealed a health issue that she also suffered from. I no longer felt alone in what I was going through. Mrs. Simon made me feel stronger. She always encouraged me to keep pushing through.
While I was trying to deal with everything that had happened, I let my grades slip, and I stopped caring. But Mrs. Simon, who was also my AVID (Advancement via Individual Determination) teacher, helped me tremendously. She would sit and do homework with me to make sure I was actually getting it done; on top of that she also helped me when applying to high schools. She would help me understand my work and also understood if I needed a break during class.
Mrs. Simon was the reason I got out of bed even when I felt like I couldn’t. She made the bad days good, and she was always a shoulder to lean on. She made me want to do better and was always there to pick me up when I fell down. Without Mrs. Simon, in all honesty, I wouldn’t have made it through that year.

Even after I left middle school, she was still there for me. She gave me her personal number so I would be able to reach her if I needed someone. I’m still in contact with her and keep her updated on my life and how I’m doing.

Mrs. Simon has the biggest heart and the best soul; I can’t imagine where I would be if I didn’t meet her. For all these reasons and many more, I nominate Mrs. Simon for Teen Ink’s Educator of the Year Award.