The Delaware Military Academy has a strong student body, one that is like no other. For that, it is important to recognize the individuals that play such an important role in making DMA what it is, and that is the staff. One particular staff member who I feel that has played a huge part in my freshman year is Msgt. Howie.

Msgt. Howie is currently my Navel Science teacher. I will admit that I was a bit intimidated prior to starting his class this year. During the summer my sister got him as her boot camp instructor, and he worked his platoon 10x harder than all the others. While other platoons were inside, Msgt. Howie had his cadets outside running drills over and over. My first impression was, this man doesn't play around. I was sure Navel Science was going to be a huge challenge for me.

School started, and as time past, I can honestly say Msgt. Howie still holds that demeanor but in a way that affects one in such a positive way, a way that I am extremely grateful for. He has not only helped me educationally, but physically, and mentally. He has taught me how to be a better person overall.

Throughout my life, I have never met someone in his position who has so much ambition to help others, whether in or outside of school. Msgt. Howie is an amazing role model and a true leader to the entire DMA community. Many people including myself look up to him and admire his strength and dominance, and his ability to be so compassionate, overall he is such an amazing person.

At times when you may be struggling, his encouragement and support is like no other; he still expresses that he is proud, and honors ones true effort that was put forward. Just by looking at this man, you can tell he carries himself with the highest of respect and is more than just dedicated to his job he is passionate. He takes all measures to make sure he sets a good example for all his students/cadets. Although his expectations are high, he believes in each and everyone of us. For all these reasons and more I am nominating him for the Educator of the Year award.