2018 Educator of the Year

I think that Master Sergeant Howie is one of the best teachers I have ever had, and he should receive recognition for Educator of the Year. I feel this way for many reasons. Master Sergeant Howie is a good role model, he has a great personality, and he is captivating in the classroom; plus, is genuinely invested in his students. In my opinion, these are all qualities that a teacher needs to have to be successful. Master Sergeant Howie is my favorite teacher and the best teacher I have had so far.

Master Sergeant Howie has a presence about him that demonstrates he is disciplined, orderly, and organized. His shirt is always crisp, ironed, and tucked in perfectly. His shoes are always shiny like a mirror. He stands up straight always, carrying himself in a way that commands respect and makes you want to be like him. His demeanor and presence alone never fail to impress the people around him. The way he carries himself and takes care of his uniform inspires his students to do the same. Additionally, it is evident he takes care of his body and has self-discipline. His commitment to being healthy is intentional as he works out in some manner every day. This shows that he is dedicated to taking care of his body and staying healthy, which provides a good role model for his students. He encourages his students to stay fit by consistently doing a small amount of exercise each day to maintain a healthy, fit lifestyle. I have increased my workout schedule, and I am more dedicated to a healthier body since I have been inspired by Master Sergeant.

Master Sergeant Howie is personable and friendly. He gives off good vibes that radiate to everyone around him; he makes everyone feel better about themselves. His positive attitude is infectious and always puts everyone in a better mood, even on their grumpiest of days. Additionally, he is sincere and invested in his students. I know that I can talk to him about anything, and he will keep my confidence. He is a man of his word. If I ever need someone to talk to, I know that I can rely on him to give me counsel and not pass judgement. At the beginning of the year I was not doing well in ELA, and I needed someone to talk to. He was there for me and really helped me get through it. He reminded me that we are all different and learn in different ways, and he encouraged me to work harder and not give up. With his support and a lot of hard work, I brought my grade up and started doing better in that class. I really appreciate the fact that he invested time in me and treated me with kindness and respect. Master Sergeant understands that we are all different, and he tries to see each of his students as individuals. He listens and genuinely cares for us. I know he is sincere, and I appreciate how he relates to his students by developing relationships that are genuine.

In the classroom, Master Sergeant Howie is captivating. He has a way of keeping his students engaged. He always has a joke or something up his sleeve to make his students laugh... he can make anything into a joke. He makes every class interesting and always keeps us entertained and on task. I would go so far as to say learning is fun in his class. I have ADHD, and I zone out easily if a teacher or the subject matter is boring. It’s difficult for me to maintain focus for long periods of time. Master Sergeant Howie makes learning enjoyable, so it is easier for me to stay focused and not zone out. Truthfully, his large booming voice is often loud and alarming, but somehow it doesn’t come across as scary or intimidating. Instead, it somehow draws you in to the topic at hand. There is never a dull moment in his class! I can’t imagine how hard it must be to continually keep a classroom full of kids’ attention, but somehow, he manages to keep us all engaged and entertained.

In conclusion, I believe that Master Sergeant Howie deserves to be recognized as Educator of the Year because he not only has the personality and presence to teach in a fun, yet serious and helpful way, but, most importantly, he genuinely cares for, and is invested in, all of his students. I am sure I’m not the only person writing about Master Sergeant because he is such a great teacher! I can’t wait until he reads this because I want him to know I appreciate how much he has helped me and that he is a great teacher.