Educator of the Year | Teen Ink

Educator of the Year

By Tyler Thorn BRONZE, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
Tyler Thorn BRONZE, Pewaukee, Wisconsin

School is not all about the grades that you receive when you take a course, but about what you can do with the information after school and apply it to your life. In my advanced autos class, I have learned more than just about how cars run, or why parts wear or break. I have learned many lessons through this class that will stay with me for the rest of my life, thanks to my shop teacher, Mr. Varrelmann.

Every class is a new and interesting adventure, because you never know what is going to happen. Mr. V always incorporates humor in with his classes, but does so in a way that we are still able to take a message or learn something from the material. His classes are not just learning more about cars, but about safety, sense, and work ethic. He has taught us that if you don’t have time to do the job right, you must have time to do it twice, and this is just one of many lessons he has displayed. This quote may still be written on the auto shop white board today. I believe that by incorporating humor in with his classes, while still remaining serious about the task at hand, he can keep the class entertained and more willing to learn each new lesson.

Demonstrations are always an interesting event that occurs in Mr. V’s classes multiple times throughout each semester. As well as learning the material in a real life demonstration, he shares his past experience with all of his students. I believe that this benefits the students of Mr. V’s class as safety is the main concern in our auto shop. Of course we will always have the occasional joking about what danger you could be in for if you don’t do the job right, but this only heightens our sense of safety within the auto shop walls.

As long as you are willing to learn, Mr. V is willing to help. Every school should have a teacher like Mr. V, because he brings inspiration to every student in his class and leaves them with knowledge and life lessons they won’t soon forget. This is why I nominate my auto tech teacher, Eric Varrelmann, as Educator of the Year.