Educator of the Year for Mr. Wood | Teen Ink

Educator of the Year for Mr. Wood

April 3, 2009
By Carly Ney BRONZE, Sussex, Wisconsin
Carly Ney BRONZE, Sussex, Wisconsin
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Learning how to juggle money and pleasure is a gamble, but I didn’t know it was going to be so much fun. I heard stories about Mr. Wood that made me think I’m in trouble. Sitting in class I was a nervous wreck, but once he entered the room he shattered my stereotypical views. Strutting in with such charisma I knew this was going to be exciting.

In class, he knew how to balance learning and laughing. He never wasted a whole class on absolutely nothing. When it was time to buckle down and learn, he knew how to keep the class in control. As the year progressed, he knew I had potential and would single me out. He would ask me questions and when I said I didn’t know he’d keep pushing me. Not understanding the lesson that day, I always came in for extra help and he was never to busy to help me. His personality during class always kept us on the end of our chairs, even during the most boring lesson.

He’s not only a great teacher, but he risks his life teaching students the rules of the road. After the semester was over I found myself coming to him for advice. Unlike most people, he told me the straight up truth, and made me think twice about what I had envisioned for my life.