Educator | Teen Ink

Educator

By ken1275 GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
ken1275 GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin

Mr. Andrews, a 9th and 10th grade English teacher at Arrowhead High School, is intensely outgoing. Mr. Andrews is comparable to fireworks exploding. He is a bold, committed, and encouraging teacher. When walking into the room, I saw passion flowing off his personality through his.

Coming into my freshman year of high school, I was terrified. I didn’t know who was in my classes or the teachers’ techniques of teaching. To me, that was frightening. But then I came to my English class which Mr. Andrews taught. During the summer, I had several friends tell me “Mr. Andrews is the best teacher. He is so fun and energetic.” This made me look forward to coming to the class.

Mr. Andrews stood outside his classroom and greeted each person that came in saying, “Hi! How is your day going?” He takes the time to be involved with each and every student. During class, he went around and asked students about plans for our weekend or what we had done that weekend. He made each and every student feel important (it is great to have a strong bond with a teacher as it makes the learning experience easier).

Throughout my high school career, I had Mr. Andrews for two different classes, 9th and 10th grade  years of english. Each year is a new experience and I learned more and more information that can be useful in the future.
I remember us reading Romeo and Juliet. To make us visualize it better, he made us act the play out and he brought in toys as props.. I like the way that he tries to enhance the class so that people enjoy it more.

I never have been an English person. I do not enjoy it at all. I struggled to understand books and the content (especially connecting them to things in life). Mr. Andrews was the one person who changed that for me. I started reading a lot more often on weekends and would be motivated to read the books that we were assigned in class. He has made me become a better reader which made me a better writer and I am so happy that he could make the experience a good one while having so much passion for what he does.