My Favorite Teacher | Teen Ink

My Favorite Teacher

By Zachnielsen GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
Zachnielsen GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin

Middle school’s a time where kids brains are impacted immensely. It is filled with learning numbers, basic algebra, and spelling, requiring high energy from  students. In order from refraining from burning out it is key to have a class that I looked forward to attending and having fun while also learning. For me this was gym class with Mr. Yde at North Lake Elementary School grades K-8. My family wondered what I would learn in gym that makes a positive impact on my day. This was not an ordinary gym class. Mr. Yde teaches life skills along with playing games. We played sports and worked on fundamentals. Mr. Yde jump started my passion for an active lifestyle.

Not only did I play sports, he takes the time and effort to get students to workout and learn correct form for weightlifting and agility training. It is one of his passions to get us into the workout room. Every student from Northlake Elementary school could recognize Mr. Yde’s classic line, “C’mon guyyy...” This was before and after school and I still am thankful for him to take the time out of his day to help me. He was a firm believer of getting us to perform the best we could. Preparing us for high school was not the only thing he liked teaching. He taught life lessons like working together as a team and becoming close with everyone in our class.

One thing I will never forget is when he taught us how to land when falling off a high point. He told us to touch ground softly with feet transitioning into a sideways summer salt to break the fall. He made sure we all learned how to do it so if something bad were to happen we would be able to prevent future injuries.

He is a great teacher in and out of school. Holding ski trips for the students where we would get on a bus with him and his wife and two kids and go to hills around Wisconsin. He is not only a teacher, but a role model and a person who has shaped me into the rounded athlete I am today.