Educator of the Year | Teen Ink

Educator of the Year

By Beastmode42 SILVER, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
Beastmode42 SILVER, Pewaukee, Wisconsin

Jackie Robinson once said, “A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.” When I first walked into Room #305 Social Studies classroom, I realized two things: one that the room smelled like roses or daffodils in the spring (instead of that old musty carpet smell), and the other coexisted a positive, radiating joyful vibe. That was when I met Mrs. Weber (then Ms. McClimans) for the first time, all smiley and happy to greet us.
I loved history and social studies before, but I never realized how entertaining and fun it could be. Every student in her class learned a new commodity by the time we left at the end of the hour, whether it came from the dioramas we did for Egyptian history, or presentations on the geography of Europe or South America.

Mrs. Weber, given an arduous task in front of her, she taught my class throughout middle school, either at 7:30, or right after lunch, or even at the end of the school day. She kept 25 students in line and interested in the subjects that she taught. To insure that students listened, she came up with jokes or brought personal stories into her lessons, giving us a experience on how geography and history relate to today and our lives. I found myself intensely listening to what she said especially since she showed the respect for my classmates and me. She learned our names within a week or two, while finding a way to connect with us either intellectually or emotionally.

She knows what she’s doing too. She became the teacher who accelerated and accomplished our learning expectations without us ever needing to ask “Why do we need to learn this? When will this be applicable to our lives?”

Whenever I needed help, she would graciously answer my emails at any time of the day or night, and would give us a detailed explanation as to why this did or didn’t happen.

She’s jocular, exuberant, supportive, and beatific all the time. She was like Wonder Woman without the whip. She gave us motivation to not only do better in school, but also better in life as well.

Mrs. Weber is a coach, a mom, a wife, a mentor, and a middle school social studies teacher. She has made a huge impact on my life journey, and if it weren’t for her, I wouldn't be who I am now. This is why Mrs. Weber is my teacher of the year, and always will be.

I would like to thank you, Mrs. Weber, for being the best teacher, and for making history my favorite subject. Your life is truly important, for the impact that you made on my life will never be forgotten, and I will cherish it for the rest of my life.