Ms. Harkins | Teen Ink

Ms. Harkins

By Alex Hennigar BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware
Alex Hennigar BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware

Ms. Harkins was the best teacher ever. She didn't just think of me as a student; she treated me
like I was her own kid. From the very first day I met her, she made me feel comfortable. She was so friendly and she made her classroom feel like a warm comforting home. She always made sure you knew she cared for you.

Sixth grade was the very first year I had Ms. Harkins class. From the very start of class, she became my favorite teacher. When I was feeling down about something, she made me feel better with her always bright positive attitude. She never thought of teaching us has a job; she thought of us as a family.

In seventh grade it wasn't the best year. I didn't have Ms. Harkins’ class anymore, and a lot of stuff was going on at home. When I talked to Ms. Harkins in between classes, she always made me realize that I love to come to school. She helped me with situations I didn't know I could fix. She helped me believe that school was fun.

When 8th  grade came around, I had her class again. She didn't just make me more comfortable about making new friends, but she helped the whole class. I didn't do the best in class, but she pushed me to do my best. When students said me and my friends didn’t belong in that class, she reassured them that we were in there for the same reason they were in there; that we earned our way in there.

In seventh and eighth grade I was going through a lot; it was a hard time. Ms. Harkins always seemed to know when I was down and upset about stuff. Somehow she made me feel okay about it,and she reassured me that everything would get better. She cheered me and the class up with stories about her family; I still remember all of them. Towards the end of eighth grade Ms. Harkins broke her leg. She tried to come to school, but her leg wasn't getting any better, so she had to stay at home for the rest of the year. Knowing I couldn't talk to her made me really upset. I stopped wanting to go to school. When I found out she couldn't make it for graduation, I was upset because I really missed her. I was still wishing and hoping she would get better every day. I can still say after going through a year of high school now that Ms. Harkins will always be my favorite teacher.  Not only was she kind and motherly, but she cared for and loved all of her students. If anyone deserves Educator of the Year, it's Ms. Donna Harkins.