Educator of the Year | Teen Ink

Educator of the Year

By TylerB16 BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware
TylerB16 BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware

I believe Ms. Kathleen Hamilton should get the Educator of the Year award because in 6th grade I started a new school called Stanton in Wilmington Delaware; it was a whole new world. I had a different teacher for each class and only a few minutes to get from classroom to classroom in a brand new school. I am not an organized student, so I started struggling in my classes quickly. Then, I met Ms. Hamilton.

Ms. Hamilton was my 6th  grade math teacher. She started helping me in math class when I did not understand. She took the time to explain the problem to me so I could understand. Ms. Hamilton would ask how I was doing in my other classes. If I was struggling, she would get someone to help me. She would check home access center regularly and stay on top of me to get my work handed in.

My 7th grade year Ms. Hamilton needed help; her field hockey team needed a manager, So she asked me to help her and be the manager. I brought water to the game for the girls. I kept the score book and set up the field before the games. I really enjoyed being the manager of the team, and I was glad I could help her. I was also the manager my 8th grade year.

I struggled with my classes during my 7th and 8th grade years also. I was an unorganized mess.  Even though Ms. Hamilton was not my teacher, she still checked up on me to keep me up to date with my assignments. She tried to teach me how to stay organized and would ask what class I was struggling with to see if she could help. When I would be walking down the hall switching classes, sometimes I would see Ms. Hamilton, and she would say hi. It was nice to know she was there to help me if I needed it.

Ms. Hamilton was one of the greatest teachers I have ever had. I will always remember her. She was always there to help me when I needed it, and was there pushing me when I needed that also. I am so thankful I could help her with field hockey two years in a row when she needed it. Teachers are special people that help struggling kids like me.

She is my nomination for this award 3 years later for Teen Ink’s Educator of the Year.