Teacher of the Year | Teen Ink

Teacher of the Year

By NataliaRae BRONZE, Skokie, Illinois
NataliaRae BRONZE, Skokie, Illinois

Dear Mrs. Sheridan,

A positive vibed feeling comes to my mind when thinking about you. You make me feel warm and happy. You portray an amazing and outstanding teacher as well as a person. Considering the size of our classroom,  I appreciate the time and effort you put in with each student individually. You gave us all the attention and compassion needed.  While having an infant, you took the time to care for everyone as if your own. You showed us to love and stay warm hearted towards everyone else out in the world. Thanks to you, I know “Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing, you will be successful." Albert Schweitzer.

As I passed through the hall one day, a memory flashed through my head. I remembered noticing a student treated unfairly at St.Peters, very easily the student suffered from isolation. The student, a friend to me and “apparently” to my peers too felt alone, sad, and disappointed. I never understood the concept, calling him/her a friend if all unfriendly actions targeted towards him made him ashamed of himself. Literally, all the other children bullied him for no reason. You taught me to always look on the inside of one's heart heart, not on the outside. I wanted to deal with the problem myself without causing any other issues towards the student. To do so, I needed courage and determination. I found myself talking to my classmates about the situation and standing up for the student. I talked to you during the day about the problem, just in case, the situation worsened.

One thing I vividly remember on the last day of school, we let all our blue balloons go. You told me to keep courage and determination, and to never change. You told me about the challenges in the future.  With your faith in me, I knew I could face and get through them. I will never forget all the cherished moments I experienced with you. Thank you for your unconditional encouragement, love, and faith in my life. Thank You!

Sincerely Yours,

Natalia