Mrs. Dorda | Teen Ink

Mrs. Dorda

January 12, 2017
By AustinE BRONZE, Hockessin, Delaware
AustinE BRONZE, Hockessin, Delaware
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

At the start of my 8th grade campaign at the Conrad Schools of Science, I wasn’t very sure how my year was going to be. With high hopes for the school year I expected to evolve into a better student, as well as a young man. At the end of my 3rd period class I knew that Ms. Dorda was going to be one of my favorite teachers ever. She was always helpful, motivating and very inspiring. As soon as I started talking to her, I could tell that she was an experienced educator that would not only better me through my English skills, but through life as well. When I heard the words “Educator of the Year “, the obvious choice was Ms. Dorda.

Whenever I needed assistance with something concerning school or everyday life, Ms. Dorda was always there to lend a helping hand. She was no ordinary, 80 minutes of learning and get out my class type of teacher. Ms. Dorda was always willing to do extra, and know you for who you are. Her class would be one of the classes I wish I had all day or just wish that time would slow down a bit. One day I didn’t get how to do an assignment, so I came to her about it, and she would talk me through the question; she never left any student behind. When it was time for the 8th grade formal, Ms. Dorda let everyone know that it was great to take someone, but it was also absolutely normal to go alone. This comforted me in the fact that I didn’t have to ask anyone. I’m pretty sure most of the guys in the room felt the same because most of us didn’t bring a date. Through thick and thin Ms. Dorda was always there for us.

She was an amazing leader, and she motivated the class to achieve excellence. Motivation was one of her best attributes because she always knew what to say to make us want to strive for greatness or even just learn from our mistakes and do better on the next test of quiz. For instance, when I had a B in English, she always talked to me about pushing for an A. How proud I would be when I got it. She pushed us to see the world as better people. She taught us to always try and succeed in life to the best of our capabilities.

Ms. Dorda inspired me to do well in school, not for the present but for the future. She used to tell us about the kids she used to teach in a very bad community. How she used to help them get through tough times when the parent/guardian couldn’t or wouldn’t. That inspired me to lend a hand to people who were in need like her former students. When you help someone that isn’t as fortunate as you may be, it makes you feel amazing.

Looking back on my former schooling, my favorite educator ever was Ms. Dorda. She gave me a lot of tips to walk away from middle school with. Tips not just for high school, but for life, period. Even though I haven’t had any major problems this year, I know I can only go to Ms. Dorda for a word of advice. She inspired me, helped me, and motivated me to be the best that I could possibly be. There isn’t a doubt in my mind that Ms. Dorda should get the award of Educator of the Year.