Educator of the Year | Teen Ink

Educator of the Year

By sskeltondma BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware
sskeltondma BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware

When I think of a teacher, I think of someone who is there to teach you new things and maybe even be a counselor or a friend. Now, when I think of these things, my mind goes to my naval science instructor MSGT Howie. When I first saw him on the first day, I was intimidated. I mean who wouldn’t be intimidated by a 6’8 Marine? I later found out he was so much more than just a teacher. He would later become my best friend and mentor.

You wouldn’t think it just by looking at him, but he is one of the goofiest people I know. Don’t let that fool you; he can be serious when he needs to be. Another about him is that he is very respectful to everyone. He doesn’t treat us like children but like the young adults he expects us to be. He is fair to everyone no matter the way the act or are treated by other people. He likes to connect with the students so he can know each one of us on a personal level.

When you think of a leader, what do you picture? This is one of the many questions Howie has asked us. Many people responded with the president or their parents. People even mentioned him which wasn’t a surprise; he thinks of us as his family. He cares for each and everyone of us. If someone looks like they are having a bad day, he will pull them aside and ask them about it. Leaders should know their followers and MSGT absolutely does his best when getting along with us. He even told us one day that he would take a bullet for us, and if that doesn’t show that he cares for us, I don’t know what will. When he teaches, he teaches in a way that everyone can learn and not just one part of the class but all of it. He has said before that he expects us to fail, so he can help us get back up and do it right the next time.

Having a good personality is something everyone should have in my opinion. Howie has showed his personality to us multiple times. He has fun with the lessons and likes to make us laugh and even cry. He jokes around when he can and still can get the work done. In one class he showed us that it’s ok to have emotions, and it’s ok to cry. I feel, when sharing emotions like that, it not only shows that you are human but also makes your connection with those people greater.

When thinking about this contest I just found that writing about MSGT Howie was so easy. I feel that I have a connection to this teacher. He has made me laugh and cry. Sometimes in life you need a teacher that can also be a friend and someone that you aspire to be. For me Howie is this person. He gives me the confidence to things I thought I would never be able to do. I nominate MSGT Howie for Educator of the Year.