Senor Anaya | Teen Ink

Senor Anaya

By Jamaica74387 BRONZE, Valley Stream, New York
Jamaica74387 BRONZE, Valley Stream, New York

My name is Maya S. and I am a ninth grader, in Valley Stream New York. In Spanish class my teacher, Mr. Cesaris, gave out paper for and essay contest. The contest was to write about our favorite Spanish-speaking person. Mr. Cesaris said it had to be written in all Spanish and it was due November 11,2016. Little did he know it had to be written in all English? I didn’t hesitate choosing a person. I knew it had to be Mr. Anaya, my eighth grade teacher. The prizes for first place thousand dollars; for second a tablet. I wanted this price to give to Mr. Anaya. Knowing my dad, I can tell when no one has given someone something. Giving Anaya this money, would make him in a way, much more proud of me although it may seem like he couldn’t really change my life, all the little things count.

Alberto Anaya grew up in Cartagena, Colombia. Cartagena a port city on Columbia’s Caribbean coast, gives off a beautiful atmosphere. With a tropical climate, everything is great. However, all places beautiful have good and bad about them. Similar to places, people have highs and lows, but know that things will get better or return too normal. I went to Mr. Anaya’s room, like I do all the time, to ask him questions and interview him. His story inspired me and should be heard to, so people can know that teachers and other people have lives.

He describes his story as a typical ghetto story. Alberto Anaya lived with his mother and sister. Alberto   grew up without a father. He said,” Being poor was normal where I’m from.” Being surrounded by poverty was the norm, but they still did everything like a normal family would do. He went to school although it was difficult. However, having a strong mother she could push him and his sister through hard times. During the time when I was growing up, there was a war on the drug cartel gangs versus the government. Returning home and I was caught between the drug cartel versus government cross fire. Tired of the economic trouble in the war, he decided to leave Columbia for a better life in the US. At age 19 Alberto Anaya came to the land of the free to live a better life.

When Anaya arrived in New York, he lived with his uncle and the rest of his family in Far Rockaway, Queens. He referred to this as “the ghetto.” To stay in the country, Anaya had to get tourist visa. When his visa ran out he had to become a citizen or be deported to Columbia. Becoming a citizen was difficult and long, but Anaya took all the tests. “I had to know the president, sing the national anthem, and answer other questions about US history. When I passed I had a Social Security number. They also gave me a flag to wave and smile for photo,” he says. He said it was funny and preferred to it as a happy moment.

“The only way to do something to help yourself is to get an education,” says Anaya. He started college, even though it was difficult. Several times due to bad credit, he got denied student loans. To earn money, he had to work. His first job was cleaning floors. Two years into college, he had to leave, due to the death of his sister. At age 22, he had to return to Columbia and pay for his sister’s funeral. He then came back to New York to start over once again.

Coming back, he was determined to start a new. This time Anaya had got two jobs because of being denied student loans. He worked in a restaurant with cleaning bathrooms and in a copper and silver factory. This helped him pay his way through college. I admire the way Mr. Anaya could laugh and remain happy throughout his whole rough situation. For example, he says that when he lives in Far Rockaway and attended Queens College, he had been robbed. Well not robbed but he said a thief broke into his car, but couldn’t steal anything because he had nothing. However, he laughed about it.

Becoming a teacher was mistake. Anaya’s uncle took him on a field trip to help with a school and he realizes he enjoyed being around kids. Alberto continued to attend Queens College. Even with being an outcast, being one of the only Latinos, he worked hard and pushed through. Alberto gutter job at another restaurant cleaning bathrooms then was promoted to dishwasher then was promoted getting tips as a waiter. Being promoted ensured him that things would get better. He could also go to Nassau community college and Farming Dale. Alberto got a job at a school, and also attended Molloy College. He then also decided to take some online classes to increase his education. He applied to memorial junior high school and successfully got the job after moving Valley Stream.

I chose a naiad to write about because he is great. All students who had and didn’t have him go to him. He’s easy to tell things in a great therapist. He is wise and intelligent. We all go to him for all subjects. In Spanish he is phenomenal. Not only is he from a Spanish- speaking country, but also he works extremely hard. All is better teachers know they can find their students Anaya goes above and beyond to teach all things. If he’s listing, we don’t even need to know. He advances mean other student and wants the best for us. From teacher to coaches he’s a French all. I don’t know what we do without him. He made me enjoy and love to learn Spanish. Not saying he’s only grade teacher I have a big huge one that stands out. Although he is in my teacher anymore I’m proud of all he has overcome. It would be a great to have won, but I know he's still happy nonetheless. So thank you, Sr. Anaya.