Foxwell | Teen Ink

Foxwell

By giannaalbera BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware
giannaalbera BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware

Mrs. Eva Foxwell, one of the best teachers I could ask for. She was my sixth, seventh, and eighth-grade business teacher at Brandywine Springs. Honestly, I was scared walking into her class on my first day in 6th grade because everyone said she was mean and that you always had so much work. On my first day of 6th grade, she told me “For the next three years I am going to prepare you for the rest of your life”. I thought to myself how is she going to prepare us for the rest of our lives in 3 years? Well, she did. She told us we were going to be making powerpoint presentations, creating our own business, putting on a networking event, applying for jobs, doing interviews, improving our typing, and much more. Mrs. Foxwell is definitely one of the best teachers I’ve ever had.

In 7th grade we had to create our own business, I chose “Gianna’s Volleyball Clinic”. We created a 30-page business plan, which included a flyer, business cards, business plan research, the salaries for workers, a room layout, a budget list, and a poster for the marketing event. Following up on our business we had a marketing event, where we dressed up professionally, had our poster stand beside us, had a binder of all of our information on our business, handed out business cards, and talked to people, ‘representatives’, about our business. This networking event really helped me understand the business environment.

Mrs. Foxwell was like a second mom to me, she would always be there for you for anything. She would always make sure your day was going well and if not she would change that. Every day I would walk into her classroom and she would always have a big smile on her face and say “Happy Monday” or another day. She would always ask how our days going and how our weekend was. She always tried interacting with us in any possible way she could. She would also encourage us every day to do our best and she would always say to us “Be like Nike and Just Do It”, that was her motto every day. When we would be working on an assignment, she would tell us she was going to a meeting and she’ll be back later because she wanted us to be able to learn that sometimes you have to complete assignments on your own without anyone; she taught me how to be independent and not rely on anyone but myself. On the last day of eighth grade, I said to her “I remember on my first day of 6th grade in your class you told me you were going to prepare me for the rest of my life, and you did”.

One of the most memorable projects I did in Mrs. Foxwell's class was the interview with her in 8th grade. Our interview was about a job we were applying for. We went on to a career cruising website and researched the job we wanted to apply for. I picked a pediatric nurse at A.I Children's Hospital. To prepare for our interview we had to pick the position we were applying for and where we wanted to apply and research it. During the process of this interview, the whole class interacted more and learned more about each other. We were all nervous about the interview, so we helped each other practice and made sure we all did well. We all encouraged each other to do well and help with anything. This interview made us all work together. This interview was very helpful because it prepared me for my high school interviews and showed me what a job interview will be like.   

Out of all my teachers, Mrs. Foxwell helped me and prepared me for anything that will come my way in the future the most. Everything that Mrs. Foxwell taught me will someday be very useful for me, and some of it has already helped me. She helped me get into the high school I wanted to go to and I love. Thanks to her I understand how the business environment works before I even experienced it in real life. I know that I will not be nervous for interviews or think any assignment is too big because she taught me how to do all of that. She taught me how to be organized and have good time management; if you know how to manage your time, then that will help you so much in the future. Everything she has taught me will help me in the future, and I have Mrs. Foxwell to thank for that. She’s my nomination for Educator of the Year.

Brianna said...
I really like how this essay is well written. I totally agree with everything says.

LenaFoxwell said...
LenaFoxwell, Wilmington, Delaware
Gianna, thank you so much for your kinds words and you did a beautiful job with your essay. I feel honored that you were my student and I know you are going to have such a successful life.