The Teacher I Won't Forget | Teen Ink

The Teacher I Won't Forget

September 30, 2016
By GKoh11 PLATINUM, Broomall, Pennsylvania
GKoh11 PLATINUM, Broomall, Pennsylvania
29 articles 0 photos 8 comments

Favorite Quote:
Too many to write.


Without Mrs. Stathes, the special teacher I treasure in my heart, I would have never been able to speak English or live as I was today. When I was young, I had a hard time understanding English because both my parents were born in Korea and lived there for about twenty years. My parents could only speak a little English, so they could not teach English well to me. When I was in kindergarten, I had a hard time understanding what the teacher was saying, so I was taken to ELL (English Language Learners) which was where I met Mrs. Stathes. Mrs. Stathes would always be my favorite teacher because first, she made sure that learning was as entertaining as an amusement park. I remember the time when Mrs. Stathes took some of the students in ELL and I outside to make some bubbles, and all of us were enjoying making bubbles of different sizes. Then, Mrs. Stathes made the students and I describe the size and shape of the bubbles. Overall, she helped me practice my English in an enjoyable way. Second, Mrs. Stathes was patient and never yelled at me for complaining too much whenever I had to take a test to see if I should remain in ELL. She always found ways to make me stop whining. One time, I grumbled about why I had to take a test, and she said in a calm and soothing voice, like a mother, that we could play a fun game after the test was done, and the test was to help her know if I do not need any help with speaking and comprehending English.


The author's comments:

This writing is dedicated to the teacher who helped me live as I am today.