My Coach, My Friend | Teen Ink

My Coach, My Friend

By Vince15 BRONZE, Newark, Delaware
Vince15 BRONZE, Newark, Delaware

I have been on sports teams since I was very young; however, I never really had many coaches that truly inspired me. Pat Kelly, head coach of the DMA Wrestling Team left a lasting impact on me unlike any other teacher or coach I have had before. Coach Kelly was a role model to me that taught me how to be an overall good person. Not only did he teach me the skills it takes to be a winner; he also taught our team the value of family and respect. With Coach Kelly leading our team, we not only saw many great victories; we were also taught to be gracious through our loses. There were times when I thought I could not do something or doubted myself, but I achieved the things I thought I never would because of Coach Pat and the way he motivated me. The more he taught me the more I wanted to learn. I went into the wrestling season as a stubborn wrestler who did not want to be taught, and Coach Patrick Kelly changed that.
Coach Kelly motivates me unlike any other adult in my life ever has. In my past, I have always wanted success, but I have not always had the drive and motivation that it took to achieve what I knew I wanted. When I earned my spot on Coach Pat’s team, I saw wrestling, and even life itself in a way I never did before. This way of seeing things was because of how he motivated me. I believe that without him I may not be where I am in my wrestling career today. Because of the way he motivated me, it made me more serious about my wrestling and I plan on improving on my wrestling to show him that he did not waste his time with all of the motivation he sent my way.
Because of my involvement on Coach’s team, I am proud to call myself a member of the DMA sports program. I believe Coach Kelly taught me how to be a better athlete, wrestling aside, and person. With the way coach Kelly influenced me, I feel that he has set me up for success in wrestling and in life. He really made it clear that the important part of participating in a sport was the way it shaped your future. I agree with him, because having him as a coach is the thing that shaped my future. Thanks to Coach Kelly I am more prepared for my career as a DMA student athlete, and plan to participate in three sports for my entire high school experience.
I have never been influenced before the way that I am by Coach Kelly, and it is all because of the way that he teaches the team. Not only did Coach Kelly teach us to wrestle like winners, but he also taught us to be a family and respect each other. When I first joined the team, I did not quite understand the way he taught. As I progressed through the season, I noticed how his teaching methods brought us together as a family and put wins on the board at the same time. His teaching left a lasting impression on me and I will never forget the things he taught me. Most important of all things that Coach taught me was how to be a good man. I am forever grateful for the life lessons and wrestling tactics that I learned from him.
Throughout my wrestling season, Coach Kelly helped me in ways no one else can understand. He continuously pushed me past my limits, taught me things I will never forget, and shaped my future in significant ways. He influenced my personality and my wrestling at the same time. There is no doubt in my mind that I would not be where I am today in life without Coach Pat. I am beyond grateful to him for his lessons; I will never forget him and the things he taught me both on and off of the wrestling mat. Thank you so much for everything, Coach.

Inspiring piece about my coach.