A Helping Hand | Teen Ink

A Helping Hand

April 21, 2016
By greta_truttschel GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
greta_truttschel GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
13 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Always give a helping hand...a trait that Mr. Varrelmann demonstrates daily.   If I take a quick glance into the auto shop, the first thing you’ll see is Mr. Varrelmann hard at work with his students. Not once would I find Mr. Varrelmann not willing to help out a student.  Each day it overjoyed me to see an individual who is not only passionate in what he does, but also filled with genuine happiness. 
My first thought when I hear Mr. Varrelmann’s name is his love for his button-up shirts adorned with small fish.  I’d find this cheered man in his fish apparel, displaying a smile as upbeat as a child on Christmas morning.  
Whether it was changing my oil, tightening my screw, or jumping my car,  Mr. Varrelmann was ready to help in the blink of an eye.  It amazed me to see someone who cares about your success.  Seeing his drive to give assistance, it was evident that his goal is for me to succeed.  His hard-working attitude motivated him to help me as much as possible, while simultaneously helping twenty other students. 
Consumer Auto is blessed to have such a devoted, approachable individual like Mr.V.  By the look of the class, it would seem as if Mr. Varrelmann were another student; he fits right in with the students. Much to the students liking, Mr.Varrelmann is all about having fun. He would stress the importance of learning; however, it made him smile to see me and other classmates having fun. 
Aside from being a teacher, he successfully takes on the role of being a father.  His father figure is exemplified in the way he shows empathy for each individual in his class.  He made me feel significant and sharp. 
Mr. V is eager to teach.  Whether it was a life lesson or how to put my tires on my car, Mr. Varrelmann had an ambition to help me learn.  He was a prime example of someone who puts their students first. 
His classroom brings a sense of creativity and relaxation.  While working in the autoshop, what we choose to work on was open ended.  Mr. Varrelmann enabled me to expand my creativity by exploring problems in the automotive world.  One of my favorite parts of his class was bringing my own car into the shop.  He not only helped me fix my car, but also taught me how to fix it on my own. 
I can thank Mr. Varrelmann for opening up my view of auto mechanics.  His effort and time that he exerted into helping me is one of the greatest favors a teacher has done for me.  Mr. Varrelmann shows a love for what he does and gives nothing but hard work. From him, I’ve become more optimistic and upbeat.     I’ve chosen Mr. Varrelmann as my favorite teacher due to his upbeat personality and his passion for teaching.


The author's comments:

This piece is for my favorite educator who has impacted me in a very positive way.