Educator of the Year Essay | Teen Ink

Educator of the Year Essay

By AddyGustke BRONZE, Greenville, Delaware
AddyGustke BRONZE, Greenville, Delaware

Ms.Peo                                                        

Have you ever had a teacher that you just instantly got along with? That is what Ms. Peo was to me. She has taught me so much about myself and about music. She was always there for me and she is hands down the best teacher I have ever had. I truly believe I wouldn't be where I am without her.
  Ms. Peo has a lot of great qualities about her, but she is very supportive. Her students, including me, always complained that we never get to sing songs we like. So Ms. Peo with our help decided to organize an entire night for everyone to sing their own songs to show off their talents. Because this night was such a success and so many people came out, this has become an annual tradition for our school's music program. No matter what Ms. Peo is always there for people. One of my friends joined chorus in 8th grade and had a beautiful voice, but she never wanted solos because she didn't think it was good.   Ms. Peo worked with her, and to this day she still sings and had many solos in our spring chorus concert. It's like Ms. Peo sensed when we needed a break. You know those days when you’re just really stressed or just mentally drained? She always finds a way to make her class more interesting and better, so when someone's having a hard day, she has a positive impact on it.
One of the main reasons I have the confidence I do is because of Ms. Peo. When I first joined chorus, I knew I loved music, and I loved singing, but I was really shy. Ms. Peo worked with me, and by my last year singing solos for me is no problem, and I never get stage fright. Naturally, there are some days when I feel like my singing just sounds really bad, but I just think to myself that I am good at what I do. I always use to think I was a bad singer because all my friends were sopranos, and I was an alto. But then, I realized that has nothing to do with how good of a singer you are but what you sound best singing. By the end of my first year, I felt confident in my voice for the first time. I'm definitely not the best; and I'm still growing, but I have grown so much stronger as a singer.
Last, but not least, probably the best thing about Ms. Peo is no matter what, she has her students as her top priority. She does whatever it takes to make her students happy. Her goal is to truly make her students better people and better singers. In 6th grade we had a different teacher, and he just didn't teach us the way she did. I learned nothing from him, and I dreaded going to that class everyday. Ms. Peo makes going to her class fun, and I was always excited for her class. She always finds a new and fun way to teach us something new or a fun way to do something that we find really boring.
Now you can see why I feel Ms. Peo is the best teacher. She’s not only a great teacher, but she also truly cares about her students. She really taught me to express my inner self and find my love for singing. There is no teacher that is more deserving of this Educator of the Year Award. She stands out from the other teachers because she's so dedicated to her job and her students.