Mrs. Averell | Teen Ink

Mrs. Averell

April 20, 2016
By edwinmaxwell1 BRONZE, New Castle, Delaware
edwinmaxwell1 BRONZE, New Castle, Delaware
1 article 0 photos 0 comments


Educator of the Year
As a freshman in high school, it’s kind of nerve-racking, but when I had my first class with Mrs. Averell, I felt instantly comfortable. She is the freshman science teacher; she also teaches AP Biology. Some reasons Mrs. Averell is my Educator of the Year nomination because she is fun, calm and flexible.
Mrs. Averell always found different ways to help students understand science. In class, we interacted with each other, watched videos, and worked with different objects. For example, we dropped eggs outside for a Newton Law project with partners which was the most fun I’ve had in my classes. Even though we did fun projects, Mrs. Averell always made sure we were safe and knew all of our safety rules. On the first day we spent the whole class on safety; we even took a test on it.
She is a teacher that comes to class every day with a smile and a positive attitude even though she may not be in a good mood. This shows that she cares more about her students than herself. Another thing I like about Mrs. Averell is that she knows how students are and how we can’t resist talking. So in the beginning of class she tells us that she is going to give instruction first and then we can do our assignment, and when we are done, we can talk quietly.
In class everyone’s opinions are valued, and she goes by the slogan “there are no stupid questions”.  This makes me comfortable in class knowing whatever I ask, she won’t laugh or completely ignore the question. Also, Mrs. Averell can help us if we don’t understand the work that is originally taught by giving us different approaches to the lesson.
Mrs. Averell is a great and hard-working teacher. She cares about her students more than herself, and she is a great role model. She is well deserving of Educator of the Year, and is my nomination.