Educator of The Year | Teen Ink

Educator of The Year

April 19, 2016
By pianojammin98 PLATINUM, Nashotah, Wisconsin
pianojammin98 PLATINUM, Nashotah, Wisconsin
21 articles 0 photos 0 comments

When I was seven, my mom signed me up for piano lessons. I didn’t know what it would be like or if I would be good at it, but then I met Mrs. Krueger.  She was warm and welcoming. She had a friendly face and a genuine smile that made me feel at home. She seemed motherly, which makes sense because she has three kids. She taught kids of all ages. Fast forward ten years and I still look forward to my piano lesson every week.
I went to her house every week for a thirty minute piano lesson. I enjoyed playing piano, but I struggled with rhythm. Sometimes I wanted to give up on a song that I liked because I couldn’t master the rhythm.  Mrs. Krueger had unlimited patience and would dissect every measure with me piece by piece. She told me “You can do it, you work so hard.”  And in the end I did it every time.
Her positive attitude encourages me to work hard. She’s like a cheerleader, always supportive. When I was in fifth grade, I wanted to play In Dreams from The Polar Express Movie for the upcoming Christmas recital. Mrs. Krueger wasn’t sure if it was a good fit for me because it was a difficult song. I told her I wanted to achieve it, and promised I would work hard. I convinced her to let me play the song and the recital turned out to be a success. I got loud applause at the end. This became a regular theme for us, and she recently told me, “You take on so many challenging songs, and your hard work always pays off. You inspire me to try to play songs that are challenging.” I was shocked that I could inspire her!
Mrs. Krueger is passionate about sharing her gift of music, and she frequently tells me, “I always look forward to your lessons.” I am humbled by her compliments because actually, I eagerly anticipate my weekly lesson with her.  Last Christmas, she gave me the experience of a lifetime. She treated me to a Lorie Line concert. Every piano player’s dream is to be like Lorie Line.
Sometimes I come to a lesson unprepared, but Mrs. Krueger is understanding. If I have a rough week because I didn’t have time to practice, she accommodates me. One week last year, I came to my lesson worried because I couldn’t play any of the songs she assigned me. My week had been overwhelming with cross country, homework, and Homecoming. She was understanding and said it was no big deal, that piano isn’t supposed to be stressful.
Amazingly, my piano teacher has become one of my closest friends. She understands me, inspires me, and has made piano something I look forward to every week. Mrs. Krueger turned something that I wasn’t sure I would like into something I’m passionate about. What a difference one caring teacher can make!