Favorite Educator | Teen Ink

Favorite Educator

By HuntingIsLife123 PLATINUM, Sullivan, Wisconsin
HuntingIsLife123 PLATINUM, Sullivan, Wisconsin

As a Webelo who crossed over into Boy Scouts, my first Boy Scout meeting was intense. There were boys ranging from 11 years old to 17 years olds.  Not only were there boys at the meeting but there were also leaders there to help teach me new skills and to guide me on my path through scouting.  One of these leaders, who I will always remember, is Mr. Jenks.

Mr. Jenks is (and has been) a leader in Scouts for over 15 years and has been a leader for me since I crossed over into Boy Scouts at the age of 11. He has been on campouts with me and activities, ranging from Civil War Reenactments, to the Boundary Waters canoe trip, and our annual winter campout at Richard Bong State park.
As a leader, his job is to do his best to give boys knowledge about the outdoors and how to take care of it. He has taught me things including how make a slip bobber rig for fishing, the proper ratio of coals on the top and bottom for a Dutch oven, and how to make a darn good vegetarian chili.  Normally, I would never go with a vegetarian chili, as I am a meat and potatoes kind of guy, but now that we have a few vegetarians in our troop and a solid recipe for chili, I am open to it. 

Not only has he taught me how to cook, fish, and camp, but he also does it for free.  We have a running joke in our troop about the leader’s pay: “Well, Mr. Jenks has gone above and beyond again, better add another zero to his paycheck!”  Not only do we all get a kick out of our jokes, but it also helps the other boys realize how much our leaders truly care about us and what they are willing to give up to teach us. Although none of our leaders receive any money for the time they give, they do get to teach young boys valuable life skills and watch as they mature on their path through scouting.  Not only do I feel grateful that our leaders will give up their time to teach us, but I also find it inspiring that they do it all for free, just so they can see us succeed.

Although I have been frustrated with Mr. Jenks before, after miles of paddling and portaging in Boundary Waters, it was worth it when we pulled into the five star campsite with the view of the Wilderness that can only be described as refreshing and awe-inspiring.  This is the kind of leader who Mr. Jenks is: he pushed me to get to the campsite that’s a little further than the last, as it had amenities and a view that make up for extra work 10 fold. 

Not only has he pushed me physically, but he also made sure I understood why it’s important to have eight coals on the bottom and twelve coals on the top. Why does that matter? Well, when you want your pineapple upside down cake to have a nice crunchy top, but a soft inside, you need a few more coals on the top to give the extra heat it needs.  Although that may seem like a pretty minor detail, it can have a huge difference on how your food cooks and is worth the attention when you put  a lot of time into preparing the meal.  What Mr. Jenks was trying to show me and the other boys though this, was how important it is to always put your best effort into what you do.  After all, the Boy Scout Oath first eight words are, “On my honor I will do my best.” 

Mr. Jenks stands out as an exceptional educator and excellent leader. Mr. Jenks will always be my favorite Boy Scout leader, and now that I am 17 and about to age-out, I hope I can be as motivational and inspirational as a leader he has been for me.