Mr. Hessler | Teen Ink

Mr. Hessler

By Arrowhead13 PLATINUM, Hubertus, Wisconsin
Arrowhead13 PLATINUM, Hubertus, Wisconsin

Mr. Hessler--a teacher, coach, and father--has spent his life dedicated to passing on his unbounded knowledge of mathematics, football, and life. From teaching Precalculus to Calculus, offense to defense, or the do’s to the don’ts, he never quits before the job is accomplished.
Being the last of the Macioleks to walk through the doors of Arrowhead High School, I knew what to expect. Yet, my siblings never told me how I would learn to love what most people come to hate: math.
Mr. Hessler first became my favorite teacher junior year, and a year later, he still is. Everyday, I am shocked to discover that I am thrilled to go to his class. I never feel the need to fall asleep or pull out my phone, because I wouldn’t dream of missing what he has to say. From his inspiring quotes on the SMARTBoard or sharing stories of his youth or his friendly taunts with his students, his class is a real catch even when it’s AP Calculus AB.
Mr. Hessler takes the time to get to know each and everyone of his students, in school and outside of school. Using this as an advantage, he creates lessons that cover the material in the class but also reflect to our daily lives. He is like a lifeguard, saving us from drowning in a pool of equations and variables. 
He took the question that has escaped the lips of every student and answered it, “When am I ever going to use this in real life?” He’s upfront with us about the difficulty of each concept and uses examples that one day we could potentially be using in our careers, unlike those that have a crazy person with 500 watermelons. Because of this, everyday I learn something new about math and about my future.
Most teachers go home at night and spend their summers anywhere but school, but Mr. Hessler isn’t considered to be an average teacher. Spending hours after school and on the weekends, you are sure to find him one of three places at Arrowhead: Room N185, the football field, or the weight room. In the classroom and on the field, Mr. Hessler is always inspiring and pushing students and athletes to be the best they can be.
During summer conditioning camp and afternoon workouts, Mr. Hessler is patient and understanding, devoted and optimistic while coaching his players. Even though I am not a football player, he stays updated with my team and our season, always asking about our last game/tournament. He’s a true team player.
As a father, Mr. Hessler understands the pressure of success. He finds pleasure and pride when talking about his children, even if it was something stupid they did. He uses his personal life to show us not to be afraid to make a mistake or live our life. Brave and fearless, he has helped his own and adopted children for the year (also known as his students) to follow their dreams.
Graduation is quickly approaching and my time left at Arrowhead is rapidly diminishing. Sadly, I am realizing that I will no longer have Mr. Hessler to break down the concepts of Calculus and life. With that in mind, I have one last question for Mr. Hessler, “Will you come to college with me, please?”