Favorite Teacher | Teen Ink

Favorite Teacher

By NTetzlaff GOLD, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
NTetzlaff GOLD, Pewaukee, Wisconsin

From a young age I learned it was easier for me to fade into the background. I hated sitting in the front. I never raised my hand, and I tried to talk as little as possible. Coming from large schools, it wasn’t hard. I could get away with having maybe one friend in class so that when necessary I had a partner for group things, and it never bothered me. I was fine with “shy me” and when I entered my interior design class for the first time junior year, I saw that it would have to change. With six rows with five desks, the students only filled about a third of the seats. I quickly found myself sitting in the front row (which was actually the third row because the last two were filled).
Having taken most of the Family and Consumer classes offered at  Arrowhead, I have had most of the teachers that teach them. My favorite has been Mrs. Ehlers. She was the one that taught the Interior Design class which was my push needed that finalized my college decision. As someone who never talked, I rarely got to know any of my teachers on a level that was more personal. But Mrs. Ehlers, a short motherly figure, made me feel as if I was part of the class and not someone in the background. She made school as enjoyable as she could with the up coming summer months. Instead of my usual sluggish mornings, I couldn’t wait to get to school and have Mrs. Ehlers for my first two classes every other morning. In that class we all worked together and helped each other out. It wasn’t just a class where I sat in my seat and quietly did my work. Mrs. Ehlers created an environment where people helped out everyone else. When I walked in the class in the morning everyone was already discussing what the did or how their days have been. It was an easygoing class that one could not love going to. Everyone’s opinions were always welcomed. Everyone got the same assignment, but not one assignment looked the same. Yet each one was giving the same attention as the one before hand. Compliments were passed back and forth at all times. Making this class an open place to be.
The class itself was a dream come true. Getting made up scenarios and decorating the rooms was awesome. Mrs. Ehlers made it even better. When I didn’t know if something would go or if it looked right Mrs. Ehlers was always there to help. Be it instructive criticism or agreeing wholeheartedly with what you have, Mrs. Ehlers was helping her students out. She was never one to dismiss my ideas.
For these reasons I’m nominating Mrs. Ehlers for teacher of the year. Because even though that class is over, and I’ve gone back to my usual shy self, I can never forget the class when I was more outgoing. Mrs. Ehlers was the one to give the atmosphere that made it happen. And I want to thank her for helping me realize my dream