Untitled | Teen Ink

Untitled

April 18, 2016
By LHenzlik GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
LHenzlik GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
19 articles 0 photos 0 comments

I never enjoyed math. Throughout my life, I never knew what was going on in class. I struggled with concentrating and applying my knowledge. Never did I think I was going to use math in the real world.
I’ve gone through all types of math teachers--boring, confusing and those who move on too fast, until I met Mrs. Lampshire.
As I entered my junior year, I made my way around a new crowded campus with people pushing to get to class. I learned to make it within the four-minute passing time. But, so did Mrs. Lampshire. I followed my map to my last hour of the day, math. Due to the fact that I was told advanced algebra is the hardest class, I was convinced I’d earn an F. That’s when I saw Mrs. Lampshire. She is young, joyful and compassionate about what she teaches. Right away, I knew I could and I would succeed in her class.
I enjoy walking in and laughing at Mrs. Lampshire’s puns on the board. I’m convinced that she wishes she was a seventeen year old again. Never would I have thought I would enjoy going to math class everyday. And, never thought I would understand what was going on in class.
I am amazed by how Mrs. Lampshire cares for each and every student. No matter how negative a person is, she helps them succeed. If I have any questions about a problem or how to do something, she will be right there to not only help me but makes sure I understand it too. Nobody feels uncomfortable asking Mrs. Lampshire for help because we know she is more than happy to explain it to us.
I never knew someone could be so passionate about math until I met Mrs. Lampshire. She talks about advanced algebra like it’s something we already know. Mrs. Lampshire teaches in a way that makes it easy to understand. Her voices rises, and she smiles with excitement, like a little kid on Christmas morning. She makes us excited about learning new material.
Each lesson has multiple reviews along the way to help us understand the material. Even the quizzes help us review for the unit tests. Mrs. Lampshire’s dedication, intelligence and energetic personality is why I am succeeding in her class.
Mrs. Lampshire is not only compassionate about what she teaches but she is also able to connect with her students. I remember going into her classroom with a group of people everyday 9th hour (instead of going to study hall). We learned more about Mrs. Lampshire and we all became close to one another. Since she is newly married we would always joke around, “When are you going to have kids?” She would reply, “I already have over 200 kids!” She considers each student a child of her own. Until one day she announced she was pregnant by having a student bring cupcakes with blue filling.
I nominate Mrs. Lampshire for this award because of her inspiring personality. The best thing that Mrs. Lampshire does is make math class entertaining. And this is something I never thought was possible by any math teacher. It is because of her that I enjoy walking into math everyday, understand what is going on in class and passed the class with an A.