Educator of the Year | Teen Ink

Educator of the Year

April 18, 2016
By sydpenny98 PLATINUM, Hartland, Wisconsin
sydpenny98 PLATINUM, Hartland, Wisconsin
24 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Walking into second semester junior year at Arrowhead High School, all I want is for summer to arrive and this semester to speed by without speed bumps in the way.
When I walked into class third hour second semester, I thought I was walking into another boring literature class. There is no way I’m staying awake. As I entered World Literature, I was greeted by a smile and a welcome from the petite woman sitting at her desk. She did not stop smiling as she continued greeting students parading in.
“Hi! I’m Mrs. Passler!” 
Mrs. Passler greets us everyday the same way she greeted us on the first day. She is overjoyed to be teaching and constantly has moments where she goes on about a story like a parent talks about their children’s accomplishments.
The reason why we all find The Iliad, The Aeneid and The Epic of Gilgamesh fascinating is because of the way Mrs. Passler explains world epics. She doesn’t gloss over a summery we can find on Google. Instead, she gives us every need-to-know detail and has yet to spoil anything about them. She describes them with passion, joy, and brightness in her eyes it shows us that the subject is interesting and enjoyable.
Mrs. Passler never fails to make her students feel good about themselves and their learning. During the first week of the semester, we had a “Say Something Smart” quiz. In this quiz, every student had to say something smart about the reading she gave us. Every time a student gave an answer, she would beam with happiness and say, “You’re awesome!” or “I love you!” or “Wow!” No one in the class was ever afraid to say a thought because they knew they’ll get immediate praise from Mrs. Passler simply for speaking up.
Mrs. Passler is like the sun--warm and always radiating with positive energy. She is always willing to help any student with any problem. She is not a stickler about tardies or late work because she understands her students and realizes we have sports, jobs, family commitments, lives outside of the classroom.
Her quirky ways of teaching help us enjoy what we are learning. She connects ancient epics to real world problems we face today. She explains that books aren’t just books to be read and reported on. They are meant for appreciating and getting a deeper understanding into whatever the author is portraying.
When I walked into Mrs. Passler’s class on the first day, I thought nothing could possibly be new, exciting or surprising about school, but I was wrong. I have a new interest in history and literature, that I’m excited to explore later in life, because of Mrs. Passler and her never ending passion. She makes learning easier and comfortable and that’s why she is my favorite teacher and an amazing educator.