Mr. Gregor | Teen Ink

Mr. Gregor

By Seth.immediato BRONZE, Hockessin, Delaware
Seth.immediato BRONZE, Hockessin, Delaware

How many people can you honestly say have changed your life? Probably quite a few, but how many of those are teachers? Some may have a teacher's name pop up right away, or others, like me, would have to take some thought. After lots of careful thought, I came to an obvious realization that Mr. Gregor, my 7th and 8th grade math teacher at Conrad Schools of Science impacted me greatly. Not only did I get lucky enough to have a teacher twice, but that teacher was kind, intelligent, and professional. From his teaching methods to how he dressed Mr. Gregor was easily the best candidate for this nomination.

Being kind isn't just about wearing a smile all day. It is respecting people and showing benevolence in every way you can. As a teacher, you tend to move on when the class seems about done, not Mr. Gregor. He would make sure everyone understands. If you were confused, he would explain on the board until you felt like a master. Not only did this assist the puzzled student, but it benefited the class as well as introducing a deeper understanding. Every day, Mr. Gregor was in a good mood and was always looking out for ways to help a student. This may not seem like a lot, but it set the tone for class and helped you learn as an individual.

One trait every teacher is assumed to possess is intelligence, but after reviewing my years with Mr. Gregor, I realized he was a master. Every day, he would provide unquestionable knowledge. Your notes would be clear and simple, just based on the way he interpreted it for you. Something Mr. Gregor strived for was to really give you a deep understanding of the lesson, theorems, and equations. For example, if you gave him a wrong answer, he would know where and what you did wrong, and then proceed to solve it step by step for you. Not only did this give you the right answer, it helped you better understand the material after the mistake than before. This characteristic impacted my classroom and life mistakes by helping me be able to easily find my mistake, fix it, and move on with a deeper understanding.

Many people take teachers for granted. Students everywhere do not show them the basic respect they deserve. You would not find that happening in Mr. Gregors' classroom. From the second you walked in, you knew he was a professional and you respected him. His calm yet stern voice would easily keep his class orderly and scorn any disrespectful or riotous child. Mr. Gregor dressed professionally, and as a coach would always represent football gear on dress down days. One example of his professionalism is how he ended every class at the same time, with no confused students, or material left for the day. These simple traits made Mr. Gregor a known professional and great teacher.

To sum things up, teachers are very special. Not only do they devote a majority of their lives to teaching kids, but the special ones take pleasure in it and do everything they can to help you progress. Mr. Gregor, was one of those special teachers that did more for you. He was kind and made sure you and the whole class understood. Accompanied by intelligence, he was rarely to be questioned and mistakes were very uncommon. Finally, his professional attitude and appearance were never absent making his class very productive. Overall, Mr. Gregor is someone I can honestly say has helped me understand Algebra 1 and Geometry to the full extent. Not only do I hope you had a teacher as special as him, but I wish that you can show him the recognition he deserves by selecting Mr. Gregor, for Educator of the Year.