Master Sergeant Kevin Howie | Teen Ink

Master Sergeant Kevin Howie

By JustinM. BRONZE, Townsend, Delaware
JustinM. BRONZE, Townsend, Delaware

When you think of a caring teacher, you normally do not think of a six foot seven former
Marine, but that’s who it was for my freshmen year of high school. Back in September of this
year I remember first walking into Naval Science class at the Delaware Military Academy and
looking at the teacher and thinking it's going to be a long year. Although to my surprise he has
over the last eight months, he has been one of the best teachers I have ever had. He, unlike most
teachers I have had, treated me and the people around me as equals. I think that is what I value
most about him.
Even today almost eight months after I met Master Sergeant, it still surprises me how tall
he is. At six foot seven he not only is the best teacher I have ever had but also the tallest.
Everyone who talks to him has to look up to him, literally. He is the type of guy you know could
beat you up with just one finger, but never would unless you really deserved it. Although he is
quite large, he could not be more kind and caring to his students. Whenever you’re in his class,
you know that you are safe and that no one will mess with you because Master Sergeant always has your back.
Kevin Howie is not just a regular guy; he is a United States Marine. He has too many
ribbons on his chest to count and has earned the rank of Master Sergeant. He served multiple
tours overseas and has been to dozens of countries during his time in the service. Master
Sergeant is a hero, he commanded troops and fought alongside them in the Middle East, and
even still today, has shrapnel in his eye from an explosion.
I respect Master Sergeant very much, much more than any teacher I have ever had, and it's
rare for a teacher that I respect that much to treat me and my classmates as equals. This was
something new to me as most of my teachers before him treated me as a child and not as an
adult. He also cares for his students so much, and you can see it on his face whenever we mess
up. He wants us to be our best at all times and anything less that that is unacceptable to him and I
think that pushes us to be better than we ever thought we could be.
Master Sergeant Kevin Howie has taught me many things; he taught me to treat everyday
like it was your last but to be responsible. He taught me how to always look my best, show
respect to other people, and most of all how to be a good person. That morning, when I first
walked into class taught me one thing, never judge a book by its cover.