Mrs.Averell | Teen Ink

Mrs.Averell

By kaylamc19 BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware
kaylamc19 BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware

Mrs.Averell
Delaware Military Academy

Have you ever had a teacher who made a difference in your life? For me that was Mrs. Averell at the Delaware Military Academy. Mrs. Averell cares about her students, relates the lessons to real life, and makes sure that every single person understands the topic before moving on. These are only a few of the reasons why I love her. One of her best qualities is how much she cares about her students.

Since I started middle school I have not had a teacher who I felt made a difference until my first day of 9th grade science. The first thing that stuck out to me about Mrs. Averell was how caring she was toward her students. If she is planning on having a test, she will always make sure that there is no other test from a different class on the same day. If there is, she will reschedule her test to accommodate the other class. Also, when we are in class, she wants us to be quiet and pay attention, but she will always make sure that there is time to talk during the lesson too. I could probably go on and on about this one quality, but I do not want to cut her short of all of her other qualities. Along with caring Mrs. Averell also makes everything we do in class relates to real life.

I am sure that every student has said that they are never going to need to know this in real life when learning a topic in school, but with Mrs. Averell this is not true. Mrs. Averell makes it a priority to apply all that we are learning to real life situations. When we were learning about Newton’s laws, we applied them to a car crash and learned how to prevent injuries in the car. Another topic that we learned was how to calculate speed. She would make 3/4 of the problems by picking a place and seeing at what speed it would take to get to a certain place in a certain amount of time. As of right now we can agree that Mrs. Averell cares about her students and makes learning real life, but that is just scraping the bottom of the barrel. Mrs. Averell also makes sure that everybody understands what is going on at all times.

Most teachers have a strict schedule that they need to follow to be able to fit all of the material in on time, so sometimes the students feel rushed and do not fully comprehend the subject. Mrs. Averell is the only teacher I can truly say has taught me. She makes it a priority to help make sure that every student understands. We have learned a lot of formulas in our motion unit, and some students had a hard time remembering them all. So, what Mrs. Averell did was create triangles to plug the formula into them. This made remembering them easier. Even if you’re still having trouble remembering, Mrs. Averell will always be available to help. She will let us come during mini block or any time after school. This alone makes Mrs. Averell the best teacher I have ever had.

Most people can not say they have a teacher who is like Mrs. Averell. There isn’t enough time in the world to tell you all about Mrs. Averell, so what I did was describe her best qualities. Caring about her students, relating the lesson to real life, and helping everybody understand the topic. If you have had a teacher like this in your school, then you know exactly how I feel. If you have not yet found your own Mrs. Averell, just keep waiting because there will be a teacher that will make a difference in your life. For these reasons I feel Mrs.Averell deserves the Educator Of The Year because she is the best teacher that I have ever had