Betsy Burkhart: Educator of the Year, Harlan Independent School | Teen Ink

Betsy Burkhart: Educator of the Year, Harlan Independent School

By Jcshoe01 BRONZE, Harlan, Kentucky
Jcshoe01 BRONZE, Harlan, Kentucky

Imagine spending countless hours outside of school, practicing almost every week, just to make our marching band show better. I think Mrs. Betsy Burkhart should be Educator of the Year, because of all he effort she puts in as a teacher and band director. I know this, because she reminds us of difficult music terms so we can better understand the music, she keeps a positive attitude and tries to keep us on schedule, and she puts in a lot of time as a band director.

Mrs. Burkhart should be Educator of the Year, because she reminds us of difficult music terms so we can better understand the music. I know this because she shows me hard keys like triple A flats and high D sharp. I don’t think I would’ve made symphonic band, a type of band you can try out for in all festival where try you out to play in a band to help learn to play your instrument better. Without this knowledge, I would not know how to play high notes without her. Mrs. Burkhart has helped me with music so I can enjoy playing an instrument without being confused.

Also, I think Mrs. Burkhart should be awarded for Educator of the Year, because she keeps a positive attitude. She is always joking with the band. Her positive attitude creates a laid back atmosphere. This also makes my day better. Her positive attitude is something that is hard to find in a teacher.
Furthermore, Mrs. Burkhart should be nominated for educator of the year, because she puts in a lot of time as a band director outside of school, she spends countless hours practicing with us during marching season, she spent almost every week with us practicing our marching band show, she spent time putting the props together. I think that the amount of time she puts has taught me to persevere. Also, she puts lots of effort into the work she does. Mrs. Burkhart spends more time working with students than a normal teacher does.

The feeling of success comes through out the sound of music. Mrs. Burkhart should be Educator of the Year, because she reminds us of difficult music notes and terms, she always keeps an upbeat and positive attitude, and she puts in a lot of time as a band director and teacher. I have been lucky to have been taught by such an inspiring teacher.